Title/s: Co-Director for the Andrew M. Greeley Center for Catholic Education;
Clinical Assistant Professor
Specialty Area: Literacy Curriculum and instruction Instructional coaching
Office #: Lewis Towers 601F, WTC
CV Link: Lia CV
Michelle Lia, EdD is a co-director of the Greeley Center for Catholic Education and a clinical assistant professor, teaching in both the Teaching and Learning and Administration and Supervision programs. She uses her experience as a classroom teacher and reading specialist to teach and lead professional learning for teachers and schools. Her areas of interest include literacy, curriculum and instruction, and instructional coaching.
- EdD, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL
- MS, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL
- MEd Literacy
- MEd in Administration and Supervision
- MEd in Catholic School Leadership
- TLSC PLCs
- Literacy development and instruction in elementary schools
- Catholic schools in urban areas
- The impact of poverty on education
- Best instructional practices for English Language Learners
- Impacts of instructional coaching
- Catholic education
- Teacher leadership
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Horizons for Youth
- Chicago Area Reading Association
- National Catholic Educational Association
- ELPS 409: Fundamentals of Instructional Coaching
- ELPS 474:Curriculum and Instruction for School Leaders
- Loyola University Chicago, School of Education Service Award (2019)
- Boyle, M. J., Sullivan, D., Huizar, P., Lia, M., Morten, S., & Peña, J. (2018). A systems approach to developing leadership paths for Catholic schools. Chicago, IL: The Greeley Center for Catholic Education.
- Boyle, M. J., Morten, S., Lia, M., & Sullivan, D. (2018). A time to renew: A synthesis of Ignatian roundtable discussions. Chicago, IL: The Greeley Center for Catholic Education.
- Lia, M. (in press). Getting started with backward design. Arlington, VA: National Catholic Educational Association.
- Lia, M. (2019). Teacher leadership: Leading side by side. Arlington, VA: National Catholic Educational Association.
- Lia, M. (2017). Core reading instruction. Arlington, VA: National Catholic Educational Association.
- Lia, M. (2016). Using an observation coaching checklist to provide feedback to teachers. Journal of Catholic Education, 20 (1) 311-323.
- Neugebauer, S. & Lia, M. (2018). Relating, bridging, and building knowledge: Improving students’ disciplinary reading motivation. Literacy Today (35) 4 pg. 38-40.