Miller, Matthew J.
Program Co-Chair for Counseling Psychology
Specialty Area: Counseling Program
Office #: Lewis Towers 1034, WTC
Matthew J. Miller, PhD (he/him) is Professor and Co-Graduate Program Director of the counseling programs at Loyola University Chicago and an Associate Editor for the Journal of Counseling Psychology. He directs the Race, Culture, and Health Equity Lab.
- Community Counseling
- School Counseling
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Counseling Psychology
- The role of racial and cultural factors in mental health and health disparities
- The measurement of racial and cultural constructs
- The development and testing of an evidence based, culturally responsive, intersectional, and ecologically valid video intervention model in order to help individuals cope with many forms of individual and systemic racism
- CPSY 425 Assessment in Counseling
- CPSY 433 Multicultural Counseling
- CPSY 435 Advanced Seminar in Multicultural Psychology and Social Justice
- CPSY 435 History and Systems of Psychology
- CPSY 482 Intellectual and Personality Assessment
- Keum, B.T., & Miller, M. J. (2020). Social Justice Interdependence among Students in Counseling Psychology Training Programs: Group Actor-Partner Interdependence Model of Social Justice Attitudes, Training Program Norms, Advocacy Intentions, and Peer Relationship. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 67, 141-155.
- Lu, Y., Alvarez, A. N., & Miller, M. J. (2019). Measurement Invariance of the Brief Symptom Inventory-18 (BSI-18) Across Asian American Ethnic, Nativity, and Gender Groups. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 10, 1-10.
- Choi, N., Miller, M. J. (2018). Social class, classism, stigma, and college students’ attitudes toward counseling. The Counseling Psychologist, 46, 761-785.
- Miller, M. J., Keum, B. T., Thai, C. J., Lu, Y., Truong, N. N., Huh, G. A., Li, X., Yeung, J. G., & Ahn, L. H. (2018). Practice recommendations for addressing racism: A content analysis of the counseling psychology literature. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 65, 669-680.
- Truong, N. N., & Miller, M. J. (2018). Family and Social Cognitive Predictors of Southeast Asian American College Students’ Academic Satisfaction. Journal of Career Assessment, 26, 488-502.
- Miller, M. J., Alvarez, A. N., Li, R., Chen, G. A., & Iwamoto, D. K. (2016). Measurement invariance of the PRIAS with Asian Americans. Psychological Assessment, 28, 116-122.