Title/s: Assistant Professor
Specialty Area: Social Studies Education; Curriculum History; Social Studies Teacher Preparation
Office #: Lewis Towers 1120, WTC
CV Link: Tocci CV
Charles Tocci's work explores the connections between American education and democracy in the past and in the present. Dr. Tocci's work is a close analysis of the evolving implicit and explicit social education provided to American students over the past 150 years. He approaches this topic through curriculum studies, bridging academic research and professional practice by centering problems emerging from teaching and learning in their varying social contexts.
Dr. Tocci is a co-founder of the Big City Social Studies Group. Dr. Tocci began his career in education as a social studies teacher at South Shore Community Academy in Chicago. He earned his doctorate in Curriculum & Teaching from Teachers College, Columbia University, where he also worked as senior research associate at the National Center for Restructuring Education, Schools, & Teaching. Before joining Loyola, he was a member of the faculty at National Louis University.
- EdD, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
- MEd, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
- MAT, National Louis University, Chicago, IL
- BS, Suffolk University, Boston, MA
- Teaching and Learning
- Social Studies, History, and Civics Education
- History of Education
- Curriculum Studies
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Educational Research Association
- American Historical Association
- Big City Social Studies Group
- Constitutional Democracy Project
- InterCultural Studies for the Future (InterFuture)
- National Council for the Social Studies
- CIEP 523: Community, School Improvement, & Curriculum Change
- ELPS 219: History of American Education
- TLSC 210/406: Education Policy for Diverse Students
- TLSC 300: Secondary Social Studies Professional Learning Community
- TLSC 340: Teaching & Learning in Secondary Social Studies
- TLSC 350: Teaching & Learning in a Global Framework
- TLSC 455: Teaching for Change: Secondary Social Studies Methods
- Tocci, C. & Ryan, A.M. (2021). Conserving the American Man: Gender, Eugenics, and Education in the Civilian Conservation Corps. History of Education.
- Tocci, C., Ryan, A.M., Ensminger, D., Rismiati, C., & Moughania, A. (2021). Teaching for International Mindedness in Chicago Public Schools International Baccalaureate Humanities Classes. Social Studies Research and Practice.
- Pigott, T., Tocci, C., & Ryan, A.M. (2021). How do we know? The quality of research evidence in education. Review of Research in Education 45, p.vii-xii.
- Tocci, C., Schmidt, J., & Cullinane, M. (2021). Sustainable, Mutually Beneficial, and Place-Based: Building and Maintaining a Dynamic School-University Partnership. In P. Chandler & L. Barron (Eds.), Rethinking School-University Partnerships: A New Way Forward. Information Age Publishing.
- Tocci, C. & Moon, S. (2020). Nonviolencing: Imagining Non-violence Pedagogy with Laozi and Deleuze. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 54(3), p.541-562.
- Tocci, C. (2020). Wild and Small. In M. Peters, M. Tesar, L. Jackson, & M. Beasley, What comes after postmodernism in educational theory? (pp.17-18). Routledge. Reprint of Tocci, C. (2018). Wild and Small. Educational Philosophy & Theory, 50(14), p.1312-1313.
- Moon, S. & Tocci, C. (2020). Theoretical perspectives on teacher education for Global Citizenship Education. In C. Wolhuter & D. Schugurensky (Eds.), Global Citizenship Education beyond the nation state: Implications for teacher education (pp.85-101). Routledge.
- Tocci, C., Bartolutti, F., Czajka, K., Jeffirs, J., Matassarin, M., Serrano, N., Timlin, A. (2020). Developing educational websites in lieu of clinical fieldwork. In Ferdig, R.E., Baumgartner, E., Hartshorne, R., Kaplan-Rakowski, R. & Mouza, C. (eds.), Teaching, Technology, and Teacher Education during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Stories from the Field, pp.649-654. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Ryan, A.M., Tocci., C., & Moon, S. (2020). The Curriculum Foundations Reader. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan. Awarded the Society of Professors of Education “Outstanding Book Award” in 2022.
- Tocci, C., Ryan, A.M., & Pigott, T. (2019). Introduction to the volume: Changing teaching practice in PK-20 education settings. Review of Research in Education, 43, p.xii-xviii.
- Hedges, L., Pigott, T., Polanin, J., Ryan, A., Tocci, C., & Williams, R.* (2016). The question of school resources and student achievement: A history and reconsideration. Review of Research in Education Centennial Edition, 40, p.143-168. (*Authors listed in alphabetical order.)
- Heineke, A., Ryan, A., & Tocci, C. (2015). Teaching, learning, and leading: Preparing teachers as educational policy actors. Journal of Teacher Education, 66(4), p.382-394.
- Tocci, C. (2010). An immanent machine: Reconsidering grades, historical & present. Educational Philosophy & Theory, 47(2), p.762-778.