All candidates earning an Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) license are responsible for following the procedures indicated below.
ISBE Professional Educator License (PEL) Qualifying Requirements
- Qualifying Information for Licensure
- State of Illinois Testing Requirements
- State of Illinois Course Grade Requirements (PDF)
ISBE Professional Educator Licensure Process
- Teacher Preparation Internship Experience
- Review of Teacher Candidates
- Criminal Background Checks: Criminal background checks are required prior to initial field or practicum/internship experience in the schools.
- Educational Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA): This performance-based assessment is embedded in the pre-service teaching experience and successful completion is a state requirement for licensure. Visit Loyola's password protected edTPA web site.
Checklist for Completing Illinois Professional Educator Licensure
Application forms for all our Illinois State Licensure Programs and subsequent endorsements are located on the enrolled SOE Student Community Sakai site.
For the requirements of our other licensure programs (School Counselor, School Psychologist, Principal Preparation, Superintendent Certificate, or School Social Worker), please visit the related area of study pages for current information.
In accordance with disclosure laws, we provide links to access the licensure requirements by State for each of the licensure types listed below. State licensure requirements can change at any time. Visiting the State licensure website link will help ensure the most current informatio
|Click to find out more about each type of Licensure available|