All candidates earning an Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) license are responsible for following the procedures indicated below.
ISBE Professional Educator License (PEL) Qualifying Requirements
- Qualifying Information for Licensure
- State of Illinois Testing Requirements
- State of Illinois Course Grade Requirements (PDF)
ISBE Professional Educator Licensure Process
- Teacher Preparation Internship Experience
- Review of Teacher Candidates
- Criminal Background Checks: Criminal background checks are required prior to initial field or practicum/internship experience in the schools.
- Educational Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA): This performance-based assessment is embedded in the pre-service teaching experience and successful completion is a state requirement for licensure. Visit Loyola's password protected edTPA web site.
Checklist for Completing Illinois Professional Educator Licensure
For licensure application forms, see our Forms page.