A minor field of study option ordinarily consists of six to eight courses. Grades of "C-" or lower are not counted toward fulfillment of minor requirements. The minor has been designed to provide teacher candidates with an Illinois approval/endorsement on their license at the time of degree conferral. Completion this minor meets a designated teacher shortage area and enhances your credentials to meet the needs of all students.
Please note: This minor is available to Education majors only.
The Reading Teacher Minor is designed so that the student qualifies for an Illinois Reading Teacher endorsement on the teaching license at the time of degree conferral. The endorsement extends to the grade level of the license. Students with majors in elementary education and English secondary education can complete this minor within their 4-year program plan. All other education majors would require additional time.
Required courses (28 credit hours)
- CIEP 206: Children’s Literature (3 credit hours) OR
CIEP 350: Adolescent Literature (3 credit hours)
- CIEP 359: Teaching Reading in the Elementary School (3 credit hours)
- TLSC 230: Teaching Written Communication in Elementary Classrooms (2 credit hours) OR
CIEP 327 Teaching English Language Arts in the Middle Grades (3 credit hours)
- TLSC 310: Language and Literacy for Diverse Students (2 credit hours)
- TLSC 320: Individualized Assessment and Instruction for Diverse Students (4 credit hours)
- TLSC 330: Discipline-Specific Literacy for Diverse Students (2 credit hours)
- CIEP 328: Assessment for Reading Teachers (3 credit hours)
- CIEP 329: Materials, Resources and Strategies for the Reading Teacher (3 credit hours)
- CIEP305: Reading Teacher Practicum (3 credit hours)
- TLSC 300B: Professional Learning Community for Reading Teacher Candidates (3 credit hours)