Organizational Compliance Risk
Increase your awareness
The Center for Risk Management and Insurance will host a seminar pertaining to the evolving tax compliance landscape facing businesses, both on their publicly filed financial statements and within their privately filed federal income tax returns. Norman Massel, Assistant Professor in the Department of Accounting at Loyola University Chicago and Director of the Risk Management and Insurance Center, will provide an overview of the various compliance requirements the U.S. Treasury Department and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) have promulgated over the last two decades. Professor Massel will also discuss the recently enacted Inflation Reduction Act, and how the legislation will change tax compliance responsibilities for taxpayers and the IRS. Peter Kolos, Lecturer of Accounting will then discuss the challenges the IRS faces in enforcing tax compliance.
Andrew Jones, Senior Manager of OTC Derivatives Compliance at the National Futures Association will then discuss the broader compliance risks facing financial services firms. Mr. Jones is an experienced regulatory compliance risk manager with a strong background in investment advisers, commodity pool operators and advisers, broker-dealers, swap dealers, and investment and commercial banking. Mr. Jones has developed compliance and risk management frameworks for various requirements, including the Volcker Rule, derivative governance and oversight, and various requirements under the Commodity Exchange Act, Investment Adviser Act, and Investment Company Act.
The audience of interest is targeted broadly across professionals and students in the areas of accounting, auditing, financial analysis/analysts, tax lawyers, investors, creditors, and actuaries.
- Gain a better understanding of the key tax changes pursuant to the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Develop a background of the recent history of the U.S. Treasury Department and IRS, and the challenges that led to increased funding via the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Increase your awareness of the broader risk and compliance challenges financial services firms face.
- The tax compliance initiatives of the U.S. Treasury Department since 2004.
- The tax disclosure initiatives of the Financial Accounting Standards Board since 2007.
- The intersection of tax compliance with the U.S. Treasury Department and tax compliance with the Financial Accounting Standards Board.
- The compliance challenges facing the IRS.
- The broader compliance and risk challenges facing financial services firms.
|Date: October 7, 2022
Time: Noon - 2:00 p.m. (CT)