Learning & Serving Safely
Any off-campus activity, particularly involving direct or indirect services to clients (who may themselves be in high-stress situations), carries a certain amount of risk. For this reason, it is important that you document your engaged learning site in LOCUS (and get approval of that documentation from your course instructor) ASAP whenever you are doing an engaged learning course. See "Documenting Your S-L" for more information.
Although there is no way to prepare for every contingency, it is possible to manage risk to prevent many kinds of incidents, or to respond in such a way to limit the negative impacts of incidents for you AND for the people with whom you are working. This Safety Tips for Students document provides useful ideas and strategies for managing and minimizing risk for yourself and others while engaging in service to our communities. This important video also reviews risk management in several related areas:
- Personal safety in transit to/from the service site;
- Managing risk while providing services on-site;
- Maintaining appropriate boundaries with clients;
- Accounting for additional risks when serving clients away from a "typical" service site;
- Contacting the CEL staff to report incidents, should they occur.