Anti-Racist Pedagogy Certificate Program
The Anti-Racist Pedagogy Certificate program is a new year-long series of seminars, workshops and related assignments designed to introduce Loyola educators to pedagogical values and strategies to create an anti-racist learning experience in their courses. Over the course of the certificate program, participants will enhance and deepen their understanding of and commitment to principles of anti-racist teaching while connecting with a cohort of colleagues undertaking the same endeavor.
Participants are expected to attend all content sessions: three during the Fall semester, and four in the Spring. For the strength and connection of the cohort, participants are also strongly encouraged to attend one cohort reflection gathering each semester (in December and late April).
Participants will be expected to complete minimal pre-work before sessions, such as reading articles or watching videos. Sessions will be offered in-person on Thursdays, 11:30-1:00pm; they will be recorded. If you cannot attend the live session, you will be able to watch the recording for up to a week following the session. Attendance will be taken.
Registration for the 2021-22 Anti-Racist Pedagogy Certificate Program is closed.
Please check back early Fall 2022 for information on upcoming program information.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the theoretical, contextual and values bases that undergird anti-racist pedagogy.
- Articulate personal perspectives and biases that impact teaching.
- Identify how their work and teaching reflect (or do not reflect) values and tactics of anti-racist pedagogy.
- Discuss how anti-racist pedagogy corresponds and interacts with Ignatian pedagogical and/or student-centered design thinking and practice.
- Apply course design strategies to make a course more anti-racist.
- Explain how they can employ anti-racist strategies in class facilitation.
- Describe how their teaching philosophy and practice will be different as a result of what they learned in the program.
- Recognize a community of colleagues who are knowledgeable about and supportive of anti-racist pedagogy.
- Attend Orientation kick-off session with cohort at the start of Fall semester (Sept. 30)
- Complete pre-work readings/videos and attend these required sessions:
- Introduction to Anti-racist Pedagogy (Oct. 14)
- Self-Inquiry #1 (Oct. 28)
- Decentering whiteness (optional for educators who do not identify as white) (Nov. 11 or 18)
- Anti-racist course design (Jan. 27)
- Anti-racist class facilitation (Feb. 10)
- Self-Inquiry #2 (March 3)
- Applications of anti-racism outside the classroom (March 24)
- Attend one cohort gathering per semester (optional) (Dec. 9 and April 28)
- Create two reflections, in writing or other creative, artist expression (due in November & March)
- Complete a final project (due in May) consisting of the following components:
- 1-page or short (less than 5 min) video or audio recording reflection on how their approach to teaching has been transformed by ARP certificate
- Revised course syllabus to incorporate ARP into your course,
- A revised or new teaching statement