Ignatian Pedagogy Certificate Program
The Ignatian Pedagogy (IP) Certificate will afford faculty and staff personal growth opportunities and will empower them with innovative strategies that reflect the intellectual, social and spiritual context of learners today. More than an exercise in memorization or a purely cognitive transaction, education is meant to be a transformational experience that affects students on all levels-cognitive, emotional, and behavioral. Cura Personalis! How do we facilitate this transformation?
The Ignatian Pedagogy paradigm, depicted below, offers a process to bring Jesuit education to life in your classroom and in your work. By enrolling in this academic year program, faculty and staff will learn from colleagues well versed in the IP Paradigm and will take advantage of multiple opportunities for personal and professional growth. By fulfilling the requirements listed below, participants will experience the paradigm in action and learn how to apply the paradigm to their work. Conveyed through lectures, experiences and reflections, the content will challenge and engage participants to bring to their teaching and work the mission of Loyola.
Context: understanding and appreciating the environment, background, community, and potential of all students.
Experience: using educational strategies that draw on student experiences, making them relevant and applicable to a wider, deeper context.
Reflection: helping students make meaning of what they’re learning and how it applies in their lives and in the lives of those around them.
Action: taking what students have learned and moving from knowledge to action in the service of others.
Evaluation: assessing learners’ growth in cura personalis; mind heart and spirit.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the historical context and value base that undergird the IP Paradigm
- Call upon a community of colleagues who are knowledgeable about the IP Paradigm
- Consider how their work and teaching reflect the IP Paradigm
- Design programs and courses that incorporate the IP Paradigm
- Enact Ignatian Pedagogy values by serving the community
- Complete within 2018-2019 year
- Attend Fr Mesa’s presentations about Ignatian Pedagogy
- Attend 4 of 8 workshops about Ignatian Pedagogy
- Reflect on your reactions to workshops and other required activities
- Participate in at least 1 podcast discussion or write a reflection on a scholarly article about IP
- Participate in at least 1 community service project
- Design a workshop or program that incorporates the IP Paradigm
Registration for the Fall 2018-19 Certificate Cohort in now open
If you have questions about the program, do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the IPP Certificate Flyer 2018-19 PDF
Download the IP Workshops 2018-19 PDF