FIGs - Am I Eligible?
Whether you are in your first or last semester at Loyola, you can be thinking about prestigious national fellowships and scholarships. In addition, you may be eligible to apply for a Fellowship Incentive Grant this year. Here are some guidelines along these lines according to your current Loyola status, to help assess if and when you may be eligible to apply for a FIG.
- If you are currently a senior who will graduate before December 2017, you cannot apply for a FIG. HOWEVER, you are still eligible and encouraged to apply for many national awards (Fulbright, Marshall, NSF, Rhodes), with the full assistance of the Fellowship Office, and you are advised to start thinking about your application soon.
- If you are currently a junior planning to graduate in May 2018, and wish to conduct your Fulbright research the year after graduation (Aug 2018 - May2019), you can:
- Apply for a FIG in May 2017; to prepare to…
- Apply for Fulbright by early Fall 2017 campus deadline; and if successful…
- Receive notification of an award in late Spring 2018
The same timeline as above exists for any juniors or seniors (without FIGs) interested in post-graduate plans beginning in Fall 2076 for the:
- Marshall Scholarship
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Schwarzman Scholars Program
- If you are currently a sophomore or freshman, you may be eligible to apply for some of the awards below; and should also think ahead about applying for a FIG in future years for the possibilities listed above.
- If you are planning to study abroad in 2017-2018 and will still be a Loyola undergraduate when you return, you may be able to apply for a FIG this year in preparation for a Boren Scholarship.
- If you will be a junior during 2017-2018 and are eligible to apply for the Truman Scholarship during that year, you can apply for this FIG this year.
- If you will be a sophomore or junior during 2017-2018 and are eligible to apply for the Goldwater Scholarship during that year, you can apply for this FIG this year.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have a Loyola GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply for a FIG.