The Advising Relationship—Student & Advisor Expectations
What We Expect of Students
- Take primary and increasing responsibility for your educational plans and achievements.
- Keep current on your academic progress in classes; know your test and assignment dates and implement effective study strategies.
- Be involved in the advising process by assuming responsibility for degree planning and coming to appointments prepared to discuss goals and educational plans; bring necessary materials.
- Attend academic advising appointments as scheduled; if you are running late or need to cancel, please notify your advisor via emai.
- Be open and willing to consider recommendations from faculty, advisors, and other mentors, and be open to asking questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Display respect for your academic advisor and your peers.
What Students Can Expect From Us
- Help you plan your course of study at Loyola, choose a major, create an academic plan, and decide which courses to take
- Explain university policies and procedures and other important academic information.
- Guide you in identifying and pursuing resources throughout campus, and provide you with
- information about academic success strategies.
- Empower you in gaining decision making skills and in assuming responsibility for your educational plans and achievements.
- Create an environment where mutual respect and trust allows you to define and develop realistic academic goals.
- Maintain confidentiality pursuant to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).