Loyola University Chicago

First and Second Year Advising

Student Academic Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Majors and Minors

We recommend focusing on your major and University Core requirements during your first semester. In University 101, your instructor will help you create an academic plan that incorporates all of your course requirements. This is a great time to see how a minor might fit into your plans and declare one if you choose to do so.

This depends on when you make the decision to change your major:

  • Prior to your orientation experience You’ll be asked to share some information via email, including your updated major.
  • During your orientation experience Let the advisor who assists you with registration know that you want to make a change.
  • After you have enrolled in fall courses Contact the Office of First and Second Year Advising.

Curriculum & Registration

Consult your advisor for additional recommendations.

All classes are assigned a value in credit hours that corresponds to the amount of time you spend in class each week. For example, a class that meets for about three hours a week would be assigned a value of three credit hours. "Credits" and "credit hours" are terms that are use interchangeably to mean the same thing.

Within a particular Core area (there are ten Knowledge Areas), you should plan to complete a Foundational course prior to a Tier 2 course. All students should plan to complete UCWR 110 College Writing Seminar during their first year at Loyola University Chicago (with the exception of students completing the Honors Program). 

Read the error message to determine why LOCUS is preventing you from enrolling. Some classes have pre-requisite or co-requisite courses, meaning that you must have already completed or be concurrently enrolled in another class. Some sections of classes or a specific number of seats in a class may be reserved for members of particular student groups like learning communities. If you read the error message and still believe you should be eligible to enroll in the course, contact your advisor.

Only academically necessary requests will be processed during the summer after you have enrolled in your fall courses. Academic necessity may include: a change of major; new test or dual enrollment course credit; new language, math, or writing placement. Students requesting academically necessary changes may do so via the schedule change request site. Students who want to discuss other changes should visit express/drop-in advising in the Office of First and Second Year Advising during the first week of class.

Yes, students should enroll in all recommended courses for their first semester while they are waiting to receive their testing scores and/or final grades for dual enrollment courses. This will ensure that you are able to take the course if you do not receive the expected test score or final grade. If you have already received your test scores/final grades but the course credits have not yet been applied to your student account, be sure to let your advisor know that you have this credit when you register for fall courses.

Depending on the recommendations for your intended major, you may have room in your fall schedule to incorporate elective courses. However, we usually recommend that you focus on major and University Core requirements in your first semester, or, if you are exploring majors, that you focus on taking classes in your main areas of interest.

No, first-year first-semester students are not able to enroll in more than 18 credits. We recommend that you enroll in 14-17 credits during your first semester. To maintain full-time enrollment status, you must register for a minimum of 12 credits.

We recommend that you generally try to average around 15 credit hours each semester, and enroll in 14-17 credit hours during your first semester.

To maintain full-time enrollment status, you must register for a minimum of 12 credit hours. Changing to part-time enrollment status can impact the financial aid for which you are eligible. Additionally, some external sources of financial aid may require you to enroll in more than 12 credit hours to be eligible. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid if you have concerns about understanding the requirements of your aid.

All students will need to complete the University’s Quantitative Core requirement at some point. However, not all students need to complete calculus coursework. Be sure to review the First Semester Course Recommendations to determine if you need to enroll in a course in the calculus course sequence.

Some majors require students to complete a calculus course. Loyola offers two different versions of calculus:

Math 161/162 (Calculus I, Calculus II) is a traditional calculus sequence covering all the basic topics of one-variable calculus. This sequence is a pre-requisite for Multivariable Calculus (Math 263) as well as for almost all higher-level math courses. It is required for all students majoring in Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics.

Math 131/132 (Applied Calculus I, Applied Calculus II) is more of a survey sequence covering many of the basic topics in one-variable calculus as well as some topics in multivariable calculus and differential equations. It is a terminal sequence in that it does not satisfy the pre-requisites of upper-level mathematics and statistics courses. It is appropriate for students whose majors require some calculus, such as Biology, as well as for students who are pursuing a pre-health track.

When you view your class schedule in LOCUS, you will see a link to view and order the necessary textbooks. You can also visit the bookstore website.

Each class has a set number of seats available that has been set by the department offering the class. Academic advisors do not have the ability to add you to a course that is listed as closed.

Loyola University Chicago will need official score reports and/or transcripts sent from the originating testing board or college/university. Be sure that you request that these reports/transcripts be sent to Loyola University Chicago within 30 days of the start of your first semester, but preferably have these sent prior to your Orientation experience. Students requesting dual enrollment credit will also need to submit an Application to Transfer College Credit Taken While in High School. This form can be emailed directly to transfer-credit@luc.edu

You can view all of the important dates for the fall semester via the academic calendar.

Academic Advising

If you have not yet registered for your fall courses, please wait until your registration takes place. Many of your questions and concerns will likely be addressed during the registration process. If you have already registered and need urgent advising, please contact the Office of First and Second Year Advising.

Your academic advisor will be assigned once the late and change registration period has ended after the first week of class. You’ll be able to view your assigned advisor in LOCUS.