Undergraduate Essay Contest
2019 Undergraduate Essay Contest
The History Undergraduate Essay Contest, sponsored by the Department of History, gives History Majors and Minors the opportunity to gain recognition for excellence. Students whose entries are judged to merit awards by the History Department faculty are eligible for cash prizes. For 2019, the award amounts are: 1st prize, $200; 2nd prize, $150; 3rd prize, $100.
1st Place: Matthew Walcutt
for “The Art of Delusion: The Style and Evolution of Nazi Propaganda throughout World War Two”
2nd Place: Norman Frazier
for “Common Volk: Centuries-Old Ideals within the Contemporary German Far-Right”
3rd Place: Jessica Xi
for “Money and Morality during the Viking Age”
2020 Undergraduate Essay Contest information will be posted in the 2019-20 Academic Year.
2019 Essay Contest Rules:
- Any current undergraduate History Major or Minor at Loyola University Chicago is eligible to enter the contest.
- The entry should deal with a historical theme or topic, or a subject of current or general interest discussed from a historical perspective. Any essay written for an undergraduate history course at Loyola in 2018 or 2019 is eligible. One essay per person may be submitted.
- Entries must also include notes and a bibliography of sources used. On correct footnote and bibliography form, see Kate L. Turabian, A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7th edition.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of content and style. To qualify for an award, the entry must be accurate in grammar and spelling and must be clear in its organization and presentation.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Email your essay (pdf or Word document) to firstname.lastname@example.org. This file should contain your complete essay, bibliography, and notes.
- Cover page: The following information should appear on the cover page only: title, author's name, permanent address, and email address, the course for which the paper was written, and semester in which the paper was written. The author’s name should not appear on subsequent pages.
- Formatting details: Entries must be formatted for standard (8-1/2" x 11") paper, with 1” margins, double-spaced, in 12-point font, with numbered pages. The entry should not exceed twenty-five pages, exclusive of bibliography and notes.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: March 25, 2019 via email to email@example.com.
For further information, please contact any member of the faculty of the Department of History or firstname.lastname@example.org.