NEW Chicago Paid Sick Leave Ordinance - July 1, 2017
Loyola University Chicago recognizes that due to a personal illness, or an illness of a family member, employees may be unable to work. Subsequently, eligible employees may utilize sick time.
- The revised Sick Leave Policy will make paid sick leave (PSL) available to some employees who have not previously been eligible for it.
- The updated policy will also expand the permissible uses of PSL for employees, including benefits eligible employees who already have PSL.
More details on Loyola’s revised Sick Leave Policy will be forthcoming as they become available.
Learn more information about the City of Chicago's press release regarding the Paid Sick Leave ordinance.
- Employee’s illness or injury, or to receive medical care, treatment, diagnosis, or preventative medical care
- Illness or injury of a family member (see below --> Family member (Defined), or to care for a family member receiving medical care, treatment, diagnosis, or preventative medical care
- If the employee or family member is the victim of domestic violence or a sex offense
- If the employee’s place of business is closed by order of a public official due to a public health emergency
- If the employee needs to care for a child whose school or place of care has been closed by order of a public official due to a public health emergency
Who is considered a family member under Chicago's Paid Sick Leave Ordinance?
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Spouse or domestic partner’s parent
- Child (biological, adopted, step or foster, or a child to whom the employee stands in loco parents, legal guardian or ward)
- Parent (including biological, foster, adoptive or legal guardian, step, or a person who stood in loco parents when the employee was a minor)
- Any other individual related by blood or whose close association with the employee is the equivalent of a family relationship
Benefit: 100% of wages paid. In addition, all benefits remain active as long as premiums are paid.
Notification: An employee should notify their supervisor regarding an illness no later than one hour prior to the start of the employees scheduled workday.
Sick Pay Policy: Employees are responsible for following Loyola University Chicago's Sick Pay Policy, including notification procedures (i.e. calling their supervisor).
Management: A supervisor is responsible for the appropriate use of sick time, ensuring proper administration of the Sick Pay Policy, including providing appropriate sick leave scheduling.
Allowance: Employees may use up to five (5) days of their accrued sick leave each calendar year to care for a family member who is ill or injured.
Leave of Absence: If an employee is absent due to illness of self for 3 consecutive workdays, they must contact contact Matrix Absence Management to file a leave claim.
- Notification:Currently, in case of absence due to a serious health condition for more than three consecutive workdays, an employee is required to complete each of the following steps:
- Notify his or her supervisor
- Notify Human Resources
- Report the leave to Matrix Absence Management