Creating a Job Description
Some things to keep in mind when creating a job description...
What is the description of job?
- Position title (descriptive, working, or official)
- Essential functions / major duties and responsibilities
- Reporting relationships
- Will supervisory duties be required
- Information about the organization that would attract candidates
- Salary range (if desired)
What is the preferred criteria?
- Special abilities or experience that is desired?
- Is there membership or leadership in a certain professional association desired?
What are the job requirements?
- Knowledge, skills, abilities required for the job
- Education (degree and field)
- Licensure (if required or preferred)
- Experience (type, number of years, and field)
- Unique requirements need for department or organization
- Technical expertise
- Other special requirements
What information is being sought from candidate?
- Letter of interest
- Writing samples
- References information
- Letters of recommendation
- Copies of transcripts
Human Resources developed a helpful guide on how to navigate Loyola University Chicago's Employment Applicant System as you review Applicant information: