Search Committee Guide
Tips on Forming a Search Committee
- The committee chairperson should hold positions at the same level or higher than the vacant position.
- The size of the committee should reflect the importance of the vacant position.
- Form a diverse committee in terms of gender and race.
- Appoint a committee member who has performed the vacant position or a similar position.
- Appoint a committee member who has supervised the vacant position or a similar position.
- Ensure that the committee represents a variety of perspectives on the role and function of the vacant position.
- For example, appoint students in a search for a Director of Student Activities, Faculty in search for a Librarian, or members of the President’s Cabinet in a search for Vice President.