Sample Telephone Pre-Screen Questions
Planning and Arranging the Telephone Interview
- Schedule a interview phone call for no more than 30 minutes
- Review candidate's application materials
- Prepare questions
Conducting the Telephone Interview
- Describe how the interview will be conducted with candidate.
- Ask questions pertaining to the resume (for example, questions about gaps in employment or change of professions).
- Ask why the person is interested in leaving his or her current positions.
- Ask one or two technical questions about the job.
- Ask one or two questions that will help you determine the interviewee’s “fit” to your department and this position.
- Ask follow-up questions as appropriate.
- Explain to the candidate the next step in the selection process.
- Thank the candidate for their time.
*Note: Phone interviews carry the same legal requirements as in-person interviews.