Adjunct Faculty and Emeritae
Title/s: Adjunct Instructor
Over thirty years of experience as a counselor, clinical supervisor, educator, writer, and presenter. Extensive higher education experience in the arenas of administration, counseling and supervision, instruction, program and project management. Demonstrated leadership with staff and student teams, acknowledged expertise regarding young adult development and related transitions, career development throughout the life-span, and proven writing and presentation skills successfully utilized in a mission-driven educational settings and professional organizations.
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC), Illinois #180-001278, 1996-present
- National Certified Counselor (NCC), #26519, 1991-present
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Counseling Association
- National Career Development Association
- Illinois Counseling Association
- National Association of Colleges and Employers
- Mentorship, Student Academic Services Division, Loyola University Chicago, 2015
- Military and Veteran Student Recognition, Loyola University Chicago, 2015
- Practicum Supervisor of the Year, Adler School of Professional Psychology, 2011/2012
- Greek Advisor of the Year, Loyola University Chicago, 2006
- Kay Egan Award (Person for Others), Loyola University Chicago, 2000
- Helkowski, C. (2014). What is the secret of excellent career planning? In P. Hettich and E. Landrum, Your undergraduate degree in psychology: From college to career. (pp. 59-75). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Helkowski, C. and Hettich, P. (2006, May/June). Missives on Working with the Startup Adult. About Campus.pp. 30-32.
- Helkowski, C. and Sheahan, M. (2004, May/June). Too Sure, Too Soon: When Choosing Should Wait. About Campus. pp. 19-24.
- Helkowski, C., Stout, C. and Jongsma, A. (2004). The College Student Counseling Treatment Planner. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Helkowski, C., ed. (1996-2000 editions). The Loyola Experience at Work: A Career Planning Guide for Juniors and Seniors. Atlanta, GA: Career Publishing Network.
- Helkowski, C. (1998). Passing the Stress Test. In P. Hettich, Learning Skills for College and Career. (pp. 131-163). Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Hettich, P. and Helkowski, C. (2005). Connect College to Career: A Student’s Guide to Work and Life Transitions. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson.
- Rosenfield, J. and Helkowski, C. (2016, April). Training and Supervising Holistic Practitioners: The Career Lens Approach. NCDA Career Convergence Web Magazine.
- Zechmeister, E., and Helkowski, C. (2001). A Career Course and Fair. Teaching of Psychology. 28, pp. 276-278.
- Helkowski, C. and Rosenfield, J. The Career Lens: A holistic approach to training and supervision of counselors in career environments. The National Career Development Association, Global Career Development Conference, Chicago, IL, June 2016.
- Helkowski, C. Transferable Skills: Helping students use the internship experience in resumes and interviews. IES Abroad: Internship Coordinators Conference. Chicago, IL, Nov 2013.
- Helkowski, C. Working to Your Heart’s Content – Preparing for College to Workplace Transitions. The Twelfth Institute for Students and Teachers of Psychology. Glen Ellyn, IL, March 2005.
- Helkowski, C. and Gahbauer, M. Bridging the Gap: Value of Collaboration with University Marketing. ISCPA Retreat, Bloomingdale, IL, June 2015.
- Helkowski, C. and Hettich, P. Helping College Students Enter the Real World: Is an “Extreme Makeover” Required? Careers Conference 2005. Madison, WI, February 2005.
- Helkowski, C. and Livengood, J. Aloha Adulthood: Special Challenges in Counseling Millennials. The American Counseling Association 2008 Conference and Exposition. Honolulu, HA, March 2008.
- Helkowski, C. and Reaves, J. Focus on Calling: A Course that Takes Young Adults to the Next Dimension of Career Development. The 2003 Career Development Across the Lifespan Conference. Denver, CO, June 2003.
- Hettich, P. and Helkowski, C. Transitions Programming: Great Expectations Meets “The Real World.” The Third Conference on Emerging Adulthood, Tucson, AZ, February 2007.
- Hettich, P. and Helkowski, C. Beginning the Transition to Work and Life: The Junior Year Experience. Twelfth National Conference on Students in Transition, Costa Mesa, CA, November 2005.
- Hettich, P. and Helkowski, C. College to Career Transitions: Reducing the Need for an “Extreme Makeover” of New Grads. Fourteenth World Association of Cooperative Education World Conference. Boston, MA, June 2005.
- Livengood, J. and Helkowski, C. Learning Millennial Style: Best Practices for Connecting through Media. American College Personnel Association 2009 Convention, Metro DC, March/April 2009.
- Parra, O., McKiernan, J. and Helkowski, C. Formative Challenges in Graduate and Professional Programs. 2011 NASPA Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA, March 2011.
- Sheahan, M., Helkowski, C., and Thorngren, S. Student Career Exploration: When to Start. Illinois Association for College Admission Counseling Annual Conference, Itasca, IL, March/April 2015.