Adjunct Faculty and Emeritae
Title/s: Adjunct Assistant Professor
Patrick J. Madden is a Catholic priest of the Diocese of Shreveport, LA. His Ph.D. in Biblical Studies is from the Catholic University of America (1995). He holds an M.A. in Latin (University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1988) and in Liturgy (University of Notre Dame, South Bend, 1979). He also holds an M.Div. from St. Meinrad School of Theology (St. Meinrad, IN, 1947 and a B.A. in Philosophy (St. Joseph Seminary College, Covington, LA, 1970). In additions to his degrees, Fr. Madden also holds certificates in the study of Modern Hebrew (Kitah Daleth, Ulpan Akiva, Netanya Israel, 1989) and in German (Mittlestufe-III, Goethe Institute, Schwaebish Hall, Germany, 1988).
Fr. Madden’s main teaching interest is scripture, both Old and New Testaments. He has also taught courses in Liturgy and in Homiletics. An avid amateur astronomer, he attended the first “Faith and Astronomy Workshop” conducted by astronomers from the Vatican Observatory (Tucson, AZ, January, 2015).
- 2015 Faith and Astronomy Workshop. Vatican Observatory. Tucson, AZ, Jan 19-23.
- 2008 Spring semester sabbatical at Catholic University. Hebrew and Arabic studies.
- '98-2002 Spanish, Latin, & Arabic Studies, Northeast Louisiana University, Monroe, LA
- 1997 Certificate in Modern Hebrew, Kitah Daleth, Ulpan Akiva, Netanya, Israel.
- 1995 Ph.D., Biblical Studies, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC. Dissertation Title: Jesus' Walking on the Sea: An Investigation of the Origin of the Narrative Account. Director: Joseph A. Fitzmyer, S.J., S.S.L., Ph.D.
- 1989 Certificate in Modern Hebrew, Linguaphone Institute, London, England.
- 1989 Advanced French and German studies, Louisiana State University, Shreveport, LA.
- 1988 Mittlestufe-III Certificate, Goethe Institute, Schwäbisch Hall, Germany.
- 1988 M.A., Latin, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- 1979 M.A., Liturgy, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN.
- 1974 M.Div., St. Meinrad School of Theology, St. Meinrad, IN.
- 1970 B.A., magna cum laude, Philosophy, St. Joseph Seminary College, Covington, LA.
- 2012 present Adjunct Professor, +Greco Institute, Diocese of Shreveport, LA
- 2007-08 Chaffey Professor of Homiletics, University of Dallas
- 2003 present Adjunct, School of Ministry, University of Dallas
- 2003-2013 Adjunct, Institute for Ministry, Loyola University, New Orleans
- 2002-2012 Director, +Greco Institute, Diocese of Shreveport, LA
- 1999-2002 Adjunct Professor, Latin, NLU, Monroe, LA
- 1998-2002 Adjunct Professor, +Greco Institute, Diocese of Shreveport, LA
- 1995-98 Assistant Professor of Scripture, St. Mary's Seminary & University, Baltimore MD.
- 1993-94 Instructor, Metropolitan College, The Catholic University, Washington, DC.
- 1982-90 Instructor, +Greco Institute, Diocese of Alexandria-Shreveport, LA.
- 1982-86 Instructor, Deacon Formation Program, Diocese of Alexandria-Shreveport, LA.
- 1979-80 Teacher, Senior Religion, St. Mary High School, Natchitoches, LA.
- NT, Gospels, Hebrew Bible, Targums,
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Catholic Biblical Association
- Society of Biblical Literature
- College Theology Society
- Catholic Theological Society of America
- Notre Dame Center for Pastoral Liturgy
- American Association of Variable Star Observers
- Shreveport-Bossier Astronomical Association
- 2001 - Sigma Delta Phi, Spanish Honor Society
- 1990-94 - Johannes Quasten Scholar at The Catholic University of America
- 1993 - Archeological Stipend from The Catholic Biblical Association
- 1970-74 - Partial scholarship from St. Meinrad School of Theology
“Real Presence: What It Is – and Isn’t” AIM, September 2017.
Comments from Students:
The instructor is excellent and really broadened my knowledge of Scripture!