Loyola University Chicago

International Student and Scholar Services

International Faculty/Staff

International Workers

International Student and Scholar Services is a resource for bringing international Faculty and staff to Loyola University Chicago. The Office of International Programs (OIP) helps with processing work authorizations for our international employees. While the hiring department is generally responsible for application fees, and providing required documentation, these processes are relatively straightforward. If started in a timely manner, they should not delay a person from beginning employment at Loyola. If you have an international candidate for an open position, please schedule them for a visit with OIP.

This information is not meant to be legal advice, but is to be used to facilitate the hiring of qualified international candidates. OIP can be of assistance in evaluating the candidate’s visa options to cover the period of proposed employment. We encourage you to have international candidates meet with us during the interview process.

Assistance is available for all faculty and staff hires for the following statuses:

Our office also provides services for tenure track or permanent faculty for:

  • Petition for Legal Permanent Residency (LPR or “Green Card”). While the faculty member is in H-1B status, OIP files the application for Labor Certification (ETA 9089) and the I-140—the Immigrant Petition for an Alien Worker. The faculty member is responsible to file the I-485, Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Residence.

Feel free to contact Marian Carlson at mcarl2@luc.edu or 773.508.3899 if you have any questions or for further details or to set up an appointment.

  • Note: Stipends for individuals in B/1/B-2 visitors status or WB/WT Visa Waivers:

It is possible to pay visiting lecturers and contractors who are in the United States on B-1/B-2 visitor’s visa or WB/WT Visa Waivers. In some cases, the University can pay a Visitor’s Visa-holder both an honorarium and reimburse for incidental expenses such as travel, meals, and hotel stay.

Please Contact Maria Araque in General Accounting (maraque@luc.edu 312.915.8713) for more information about the required paperwork for paying a stipend to individuals in B1/B2 status.