Loyola University Chicago

International Student and Scholar Services

Transferring to Loyola in F-1 or J-1 Status


Transfer Process for F-1 Students

You are considered a transfer student for purposes of your non-immigrant status if:

  • You recently completed program at another school, including high school
  • You are transferring in the middle of a degree program
  • You are in the middle of your authorized OPT period or you have recently finished your authorized period of OPT

To transfer to Loyola and keep your F-1 status, you should follow these steps. OIP can help you through the process.

  1. Gain admission: After you have been accepted by Loyola and you've made the decision to attend, Loyola can issue your I-20. Be sure you can begin attending Loyola within 5 months of completion of studies at your old school or the transfer release date (date your SEVIS record will be transferred to Loyola), whichever is earlier.

    Students who are on post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) should begin classes at Loyola within 5 months of the date the OPT authorization ends or the transfer release date, whichever is earlier.

  2. Request release of your SEVIS record: Ask a Designated School Official (DSO) at your old school to release your for transfer to Loyola within 60 days of completing your studies or completing OPT.

    DSOs are usually found in the international students office. The DSO enters a transfer release date into the SEVIS database. The release date can be the ending date of the student's program of study but can also be up to 60 days beyond the ending date, and in some circumstances, before the ending date.

  3. Complete transfer form: Before Loyola can issue your I-20, you and the DSO at your current school need to complete Loyola's Transfer Verification Form (PDF) and the DSO submits it to Loyola. This form verifies your current immigration status.

  4. Submit financial information: OIP verifies your financial eligibility to attend Loyola by checking your financial documents. You need to prove that you already have enough money for tuition and living expenses for a period of 12 months, with the understanding that you will be able to fund your entire education at Loyola.

    The financial proof can take the form of an original bank statement or a letter from any agency, government or employer offering to cover your tuition and living expenses. You may also receive financial support from a family member or another source. To determine the amount of support you need for your particular program of study, please contact us.

    If you will receive support from a family member or another sponsor, you must provide a letter from the sponsor stating that they will pay your educational expenses. You must also provide an original bank statement from your sponsor for the current academic year, showing an amount to cover at least a year of tuition and living expenses. This is a non-negotiable requirement of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service and must be shown before OIP can issue an I-20 form.

    Bank statements must be originals, written in English and converted into U.S. dollars. We will not accept any statement or sponsor letter that is more than 6 months old.

  5. Submit 'Declaration/Certification of Finances' Form:
  6. Submit dependent information (accompanying family members): If any immediate family members will accompany you in dependent (F-2) status, provide Loyola with financial evidence that you are able to support them.

    In addition to providing financial verification of your own education and living expenses, you must provide financial verification in the amount of $5,600 for a spouse and $3,800 for each child. OIP also requires personal information about each dependent, including full name, date of birth, city/country of birth, country of citizenship and relationship to you.

  7. Send documents to Loyola: Please mail all required documentation to:

    Office for International Programs                                                                                    International Students & Scholars
    Loyola University Chicago
    6525 N. Sheridan Rd.
    Chicago, IL 60626

  8. Receive I-20/DS-2019 from Loyola: OIP will issue the new I-20 on or after the transfer release date. We will mail you the I-20, or you may request that we hold it for pick-up.

  9. Required check-in at Loyola: In accordance with immigration regulations, you must report to OIP for official transfer completion. Checking in ensures that your status in the U.S. remains legal.

    To schedule a check-in appointment with OIP, contact us. Please schedule an appointment within the first week of class. Bring the following items to your appointment:
    • Your Loyola I-20
    • All I-20s from your former institution(s)
    • Passport
    • I-94 card (small white card)

Once these steps have been completed, OIP will notify the immigration service that the transfer is complete. We look forward to seeing you soon!


Transfer Process for J-1 Students

If you are a J-1 student wishing to transfer your J-1 status to Loyola, please contact us.