Loyola University Chicago

International Student and Scholar Services

J-1 Employment Options

Students in J-1 status may accept employment under certain circumstances. In all cases, your J-1 program sponsor must authorize your employment. If you are uncertain about your J-1 program sponsor, refer to your DS-2019; your J-1 program sponsor is listed there. The information below is intended for international students who are sponsored by Loyola University Chicago. If you are sponsored by an outside agency, please consult with your program officer regarding employment eligibility.


You may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full-time during your annual vacation period. On-campus employment includes any job for which Loyola will pay you, either on an hourly basis or as a part of a graduate assistantship. You must receive a letter from OIP and complete a Form I-9 in Human Resources before you may work on campus. Your on-campus employment must stop once you complete your studies.

You will need a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to complete Form I-9. If you do not have an SSN, please see Obtaining a U.S. Social Security Number.


If you experience a sudden and unexpected change in your financial situation, OIP may authorize you to work off campus. If you believe that you qualify for off-campus work permission, make an appointment with an OIP advisor. Be prepared to discuss the exact nature of your problem with the advisor. You may be asked to provide documentation of your situation so that the advisor can determine if off-campus work permission is warranted. If permission is granted, you may work 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full-time during your annual vacation. Your total employment from all sources cannot exceed 20 hours per week during the academic year.


Academic training authorization permits you to take a job that is directly related to your field of study and commensurate with your educational level. You may work with academic training either prior to or after completion of studies. Please make an appointment with an OIP advisor for further information on academic training guidelines, time limits, and application procedures.