Loyola University Chicago

International Student and Scholar Services

J-1 Students

Current J-1 Students

J-1 Student Enrollment Requirements & Form DS-2019

  • You must be enrolled in a full course of study during normal enrollment periods.
  • You are required to have health insurance, and so are any J-2 dependents you may have.
  • Keep your DS-2019 current. The DS-2019 expiration date is indicated in item #3.

If you need additional time beyond your DS-2019 expiration date to complete your program of study, please contact the Office for International Programs to consult with an advisor about the necessary procedures. If you have completed your program of study, you have 30 days to legally remain in the US beyond the expiration date of your DS-2019 (or beyond the completion date of your program, whichever is earlier). This 30-day period is known as your "grace period." During the grace period, you can change to a new degree program, transfer to a new school, or prepare to depart the US.

Request a new Form DS-2019 when changing your academic program from one degree level to another (e.g., from bachelor's to master's level), one school to another (e.g., from the School of Medicine to the School of Business), or one major/field of study to another (e.g., from chemistry to physics). You must notify OIP as soon as you know about your program change, but not later than 2 weeks after the change has gone into effect.

You should retain all of your original DS-2019s. If you apply for an H-1B work visa or adjustment of status, you will be asked to produce copies of these documents.

Note: Your DS-2019 and your visa are two entirely different documents. While your DS-2019 needs to remain valid while studying in the United States, your visa does not. Your visa is an entry document to the US and does not need to be renewed as long as you remain in the US. More information for J-1 Students here or e-mail intlcntr@luc.edu.

Note for J-1 and F-1 Students

The Office for International Programs (OIP) is required to report to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on the status of our F-1 and J-1 international students. Among other things, we will be required to report on an ongoing basis whether international students are enrolled full-time. If students are enrolled less than full-time we will need to indicate the reason for the less than full-time enrollment. If a student drops below full-time without prior approval, they will be considered out of status by USCIS and we are required to report them as such. While re-instatement may be possible, it is time consuming and costly.