Loyola University Chicago

International Student and Scholar Services

J-2 Employment Authorization

A J-2 dependent of an exchange visitor may apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for work permission if the work is not needed to support the J-1 exchange visitor. For example, a J-2 dependent may:

  • Earn extra living expenses for the dependent
  • Earn extra money so that the dependent may attend school
  • Obtain professional experience
  • Earn extra money to travel in the U.S.
  • Develop wider social and professional contacts


To apply for work permission, submit the following to USCIS:

  • A completed Form I-765, available in hard copy at OIP. Answer Question #16 as follows: (C)(5)
  • A check for $380, made payable to "U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services"
  • Two passport-size photos taken no earlier than 30 days before submission to USCIS. Photos should follow the State Department's passport photo specifications.
  • A photocopy of the J-1 Exchange Visitor's DS-2019(s)
  • A photocopy of the J-2 Dependent's DS-2019(s)
  • Photocopies of both the J-1 and J-2 Form I-94 cards (small 3"x5" white card in usually in the passport). Copy both the front and back, even when the back is blank.
  • Photocopies of the J-2's passport photo and U.S. visa pages
  • A photocopy of any previous employment authorization cards (EADs)
  • An application letter addressed to the "USCIS"

The letter should explain why the J-2 visitor would like to be employed. It should specifically state that the income earned by the J-2 visitor will not be used to support the J-1. Include a brief budget with the letter, showing that the J-1 exchange visitor has enough money to remain in the U.S. without extra income from the J-2.

Mail the complete application to:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
850 "S" Street
P.O. Box 87765
Lincoln, NE 68501-7765