Loyola University Chicago

International Student and Scholar Services


After you receive academic admission from one of Loyola's admitting offices, our office can assist you in getting an DS-2019. If OIP has received your financial support documents and all other pertinent information, we can usually generate your DS-2019 in one or two weeks. Our normal procedure is to send the document using UPS express mail service.

If you have received notice of your admission and you have mailed your financial support documents to OIP, you may wish to contact us to find out if your DS-2019 has been mailed. For more details about this process, please refer to the newly admitted students page.

You may enter the country as early as 30 days in advance of your program start date.

Your admission number is also called your I-94 number. It is an 11-digit number that appears at the top of your white I-94 card. The number is generated for you when you are arriving in the US and you are asked to fill out the I-94 form. Your admission number does not have to be on your DS-2019. Make sure to keep the I-94 with your passport, as it is your official record of being admitted to the United States.

In accordance with immigration regulations, you must provide OIP with your immigration documents upon arrival at Loyola. These regulations apply to students from outside the US, as well as to students transferring to Loyola from another US school.

You may also have questions about class registration, student ID cards, your computer ID, password and e-mail address, and getting settled on campus. For undergraduate students, these questions can all be answered at a summer Orientation orientation session. Graduate students will learn about these things during their individual department orientations.

Immigration transfer is different than academic transfer. Even if you are completing an academic program at another institution or you will return to your home country for under 5 months before returning to attend Loyola, your former school must still transfer your immigration record to Loyola. You must obtain a new DS-2019 from Loyola as part of the transfer process. For more information about necessary forms, deadlines and procedures related to immigration transfer, please contact us.

OIP has trained advisors to answer your questions. We will attempt to answer any questions you ask. To make an appointment, please contact us. If we cannot answer your questions, we will refer you to the appropriate university office.

Your visa is the stamp in your passport with your photograph that was issued to you by a US consulate or embassy abroad. It is only an entry document, so it only needs to be valid when you travel and plan to re-enter the United States. If it expires while you are still pursuing your studies in the US, and you have no plans to travel outside the US, you will still be in status. For more information, see visa renewal.

If your DS-2019 will expire before you finish your studies, you should get it extended. You must extend your DS-2019 before its expiration date in order to avoid losing your J-1 status. To extend your DS-2019, you will need to show OIP new bank statements or proof of financial sponsorship, plus a letter from your advisor explaining why you need the extension. For more information about this process, see extension of program.

Check the bottom of page one of your DS-2019. If there is a signature that will be more than 3 months old at the time when you plan to return to the US, you should come to the Office for International Programs for a new signature. According to immigration law, the signatures are valid for one year (as it says on your), but port of entry officials recommend a more recent signature. For more information about documents needed for travel, visit travel instructions.

J-1 students have several opportunities to work in the US, both on and off Loyola's campus. For more information, see employment options for J-1 students.

The US immigration service does not allow students in visitor status to enroll in a course of study without first applying for and obtaining approval for student status. Recreational, short-term classes that are not the primary purpose of the visitor's presence in the US may be allowed. For further consultation, please contact us.

It may be possible for your immediate family members (spouse or children) to come the US to stay with you for the duration of your studies. These family members should apply for J-2 visas (dependent visas of the J-1) at a US consulate or embassy abroad. You would first need to get new DS-2019s from OIP. For further information about this process, see dependents in J-2 status.

For short-term visits (one month or less) or for non-immediate family members, it is suggested that they apply for visitor (B-1/B-2) visas from the US consulate or embassy abroad.

Depending on how long you have been out of J-1 status, there may be a possibility for regaining that status. It is important to apply for reinstatement as soon as possible. OIP can provide one-on-one advising to you to discuss what your options are. For an appointment, please contact us.