Loyola University Chicago

International Student and Scholar Services

Other Work Visas

H-1B Work Visa – Concurrent Employment

Work visas such as H-1B and J-1 scholar/professor are employer specific. Unless otherwise specified, the individual in H-1B or J-1 status may only be employed by their sponsoring organization.

H-1B Work Visa—Concurrent Employment

Loyola University Chicago can apply for concurrent employment for individuals who hold H-1B status through another employer. However, in this case, the individual may not begin work for Loyola until the petition for concurrent employment has been filed with USCIS. See H-1B or H-IB staff (Button)

J-1 Exchange Visitor—Concurrent Employment

Individuals who are in J-1 Exchange Visitor Status and sponsored by an institution other than Loyola University Chicago may be able to be employed at Loyola University Chicago. However, these individuals must first obtain written authorization form their sponsoring university or institution before beginning work at Loyola. Please contact Marian Carlson at mcarl2@luc.edu or 773.508.3899 for further information.

J-2 (Dependents of individuals in J-1 Exchange Visitor status)

Dependents of Exchange Visitors may be authorized to work. They must first apply for and receive work authorization from the USCIS in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

F-1 Student Visa

Unless specifically authorized to work elsewhere, individuals who are in F-1 Student status may only work on the campus where their I-20 was issued and where they are enrolled. Individuals in F-1 student status may have work authorization at an institution other than their sponsor if they have been authorized for Curricular Practical Training (See page 3 of the I-20), Optional Practical Training (Employment Authorization Document—EAD) or Employment due to Economic Hardship (Employment Authorization Document—EAD)

E-3 Australian

The E-3 visa category applies only to Australian nationals. This category is similar to the H-1B, as it is a specialty occupation visa. The work the E-3 will engage in must require a bachelor’s degree or higher to meet the high level of expertise necessary for the position. This visa is fit for all types of university faculty and staff positions. E-3 visas should be requested for a minimum of two years.

TN—Canadian or Mexican

The TN visa category is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and enables Canadian and Mexican citizens to enter the United States to engage in professional business activities on a temporary basis. There is no US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) limit on the number of workers granted TN status each year.

Adjustment of Status

Individuals in the process of adjustment of status to Permanent Resident may have received work authorization. This would be in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

This list may not be exhaustive. There may be other instances where individuals may work.

For more information about this process, please contact Marian Carlson at mcarl2@luc.edu or 773.508.3899.

Note: B-1/2 Visitors Visa or Visa Waiver

Stipends for Visitors

It may be possible to pay visiting lecturers and contractors who are in the United States on B-1/B-2 visitor’s visa or WB/WT Visa Waivers. In some cases, the University can pay a Visitor’s Visa-holder both an honorarium and reimburse for incidental expenses such as travel, meals, and hotel stay.

Please Contact Maria Araque in General Accounting (maraque@luc.edu, 312.915.8713) for more information about the required paperwork.