Top Hat is the web-based response platform Loyola began using in the Fall of 2015. Top Hat provides a way to receive instant feedback from your students using devices they already own to increase student engagement. There are seven different questions types, discussion boards and the ability to create polling tournaments. Instructors can receive reports on daily attendance, student participation and student performance.
- Instructors post a question.
- Students submit responses using their own devices.
- Results appear instantly!
- Students use their own devices (including phones, laptops, or tablets) to participate in polls and are not required to purchase a physical clicker.
- Assess comprehension by asking 7 different question types: multiple choice, matching, sorting, numeric, click-on-target, and word answer questions.
- Assign questions for homework to assess student understanding before class begins.
- Designate questions for review to help students prepare for future assessments.
- Engage the class through live discussion while providing every student a voice.
- Allow students to answer peer questions or vote for specific questions to be addressed by the instructor.
- Discussions can occur before, during, or after a class session, as the program is web-based
Top Hat is available to all Loyola faculty at no cost.
Students can purchase a subscription to use Top Hat in an unlimited number of courses. Subscriptions can be purchased online or through your mobile device app store. Students can decided between a single semester ($16) or five years ($35) subscription.
Getting Started Support Instructions
Please contact Sarah Kentner at email@example.com.