Top Hat is an interactive web-based response platform at Loyola. Instructors can leverage students’ devices to take attendance, launch discussions and questions, and solicit real-time feedback. Students can use devices they already own, like smartphones, tablets, or laptops.
Top Hat offers several ways for instructors to facilitate engagement with different question types, discussion boards, and gamified elements like polling tournaments. In addition to the instructional benefits, Top Hat provides instructors with learning analytics like daily attendance, student participation, and student performance reports.
- Instructors post a question.
- Students submit responses using their own devices.
- Results appear instantly!
Students use their own devices, including phones, laptops, or tablets, to participate in poll-style questions. Students do not need to purchase a physical clicker.
The interactive polling tool lets instructors...
- Engage students with Top Hat in face-to-face or online course environments.
- Assess comprehension by asking different question types like multiple choice, matching, sorting, numeric, click-on-target, and word answer questions.
- Assign questions for homework to assess student understanding before class begins.
- Designate questions for review to help students prepare for future assessments.
- Engage the class through live discussion while providing every student a voice.
- Allow students to answer peer questions or vote for specific questions to be addressed by the instructor.
- Discussions can occur before, during, or after a class session, as the program is web-based
Top Hat is available to all Loyola faculty at no cost.
Students can purchase a subscription to use Top Hat. Subscriptions can be purchased online or through your mobile device app store. Students may choose a single semester ($16) or five years ($35) subscription. Both subscription options provide students with unlimited access to the Top Hat’s database of courses.
Please contact Meg Mitchell at email@example.com.