Network Firewall Policy
This policy defines the essential rules regarding the management, maintenance and operation of network firewalls at Loyola University Chicago and applies to all network firewalls procured through, operated or contracted by the University.
To establish a set policies and strategies in the deployment and configuration of all network firewalls that process University network traffic.
All external and wireless connections to University networks must pass through a network firewall. In addition, all network connections entering a high security network must pass through a network firewall. Any change to an external connection or to the configuration of the firewall must be adequately tested and documented according to the ITS Network Firewall Standard.
Network firewalls used to protect University networks must run on single-purpose devices.
- These devices may not serve other purposes, such as acting as web servers.
- Each network firewall must have a rule set specific to its purpose and location on the network, in accordance with the ITS Network Firewall Standard.
Network Firewall Change Control
Network firewall configuration rules and permissible services rules must not be changed unless the permission of the Information Security Officer and Network Manager has first been obtained. Any change to rules and permissible services made to any network firewall needs to be documented using the ITS Change Management Policy, and a justification for the change and the actual updated configuration or service rule needs to be documented in the ITS Network Firewall Supporting Documentation. Changes made to Intrusion Prevention functions of the Internet facing firewalls (See Allowable Changes) are an exception and do not require a change management request.
Allowable Changes (External Facing Firewalls Only)
The following list of changes do not require a change management request
- Security Profiles (Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Vulnerability Protection, URL Filtering, File Blocking, Wildfire Analysis, Data Filtering, and DoS protection)
- Zone Protection
- Log Forwarding
- Global Protect VPN
An audit of network firewalls will be done on a biannual basis. These audits must also include the regular execution of vulnerability scanning in accordance with the ITS Vulnerability Assessment Policy. Audits must be performed by the Information Security Team and Network Services.
Network Firewall Physical Security
All University network firewalls must be physically located in ITS data centers and accessible only to those whose roles and responsibilities permit them to access network firewalls as defined within the ITS Access Control Policy.
These secure spaces must also have adequate physical security measures installed. All physical access to the secured spaces will be automatically logged. All visitor access to the secured space must abide by the ITS Access Control Policy.
Exceptions to this policy will be handled in accordance with the ITS Security Policy.
This policy will be maintained in accordance with the ITS Security Policy.
In emergency cases, actions may be taken by the Incident Response Team in accordance with the procedures in the ITS Incident Response Plan. These actions may include rendering systems inaccessible.
- Change Management Policy
- ITS Access Control Policy
- ITS Network Firewall Standard
- Incident Response Plan
- ITS Security Policy
- September 04, 2008: Initial Policy
- April 15, 2016: corrected links, annual review for PCI compliance
- May 24, 2017: Annual review for PCI Compliance
- August 11, 2017: v1.2 Modified Change Control section to reflect unified Firewall and IPS functions.
- May 1, 2018: Annual review for PCI Compliance
- June 19, 2019: Annual review for PCI Compliance