What's New with Digital Media Services
This page will list news and updates from Digital Media Services, including our resources and services, multimedia lab locations, new equipment in the loan program, updated loan program policies, printing and more.
Beginning Fall 2019, our student worker roles will focus on more specialized support based on service location. Within our Equipment Loan Rooms, Equipment & Video Advisors will be able to assist with all equipment circulation requests. In our Digital Media Lab spaces (IC 2nd floor Service Desk and CLC 608), our Print & Design Advisors will have greater ability to review and process poster print requests, assist with lab printing and general lab support. Over the course of the year, both roles will expand with offering greater consultation services for video production and design support respectively.
As of Fall 2019, we have updated the following aspects for our Lake Shore Campus locations:
- Media Production Studio - IC room 207. We begin this year offering our new Media Production Services. IC room 207 serves as our video production studio. This space will be used for collaborative projects with faculty and instructors. Learn more.
- Short- and Long-Term Loan - IC room 203. Resources that previously circulated from the IC2 Service Desk for a limited 3-hour period of time have migrated into the IC 203 for usage up to 7-days as part of our standard long-term loan program. While some resources will remain available for walk-up use only, such as phone and Mac charging cables, other resources will be available by reservation as well, including laptops and headphones.
- Poster Printing pickup from IC 2nd floor Service Desk. Our Poster Printer has moved to our dedicated staff service room, IC 202. Poster pickup can be done from the IC 2nd floor Service Desk.
As of Fall 2019, we have updated the following aspects for our Water Tower Campus locations:
- Vocal Booth Narration Studio - CLC 608. We begin this year offering our new services focused on media production. CLC 608 houses a 6ft x 6ft vocal booth for audio dialogue and narration recording. This space is available for faculty, staff and students active in coursework, however requires completion of authorization training before reservation access is available. Learn more.
- Short-Term Loan merged into Long-Term Loan. Resources that previously circulated for "short-term loan", limited to 3-hour circulation limits, are now available for usage up to 7-days as part of our standard long-term loan program. While some resources will remain available for walk-up use only, such as phone and Mac charging cables, other resources will be available by reservation as well, including laptops and headphones.
PC Refresh Updates
Our Lab workstations have the following notable changes as the academic year begins:
- Adobe CC Sign-In - Access to Adobe CC applications are now available by sign-in. For users with Adobe CC subscriptions, you now have the ability to sign-in and access your cloud resources. For users that do not have an Adobe CC subscription, use the Enterprise ID sign-in method, and login using your UVID and Password to access these applications on-campus.
- PDF Documents - Due to the shift in Adobe sign-in requirements, Adobe Acrobat PDF documents open by default in Microsoft Edge and Safari browsers. To use full functionality of Adobe Acrobat Pro, such as editing PDFs, launch the application and sign-in as detailed above.
- PC power on and login - During the start of school we are testing a new workstation configuration for PC workstations. Power on the workstation to logon.
The following multimedia lab locations have been refreshed with new computers:
- LSC: 5 new iMac Pros on IC2 as part of the Digital Media Lab updates
- WTC: 5 new iMac Pros in CLC608; new PCs at Lewis Library 6th and 8th floor locations
During the break periods, we always complete heavy-duty break cleaning. This encapsulates approximately 10-15 minutes per workstation with thorough cleaning to keyboards, mice, cables, towers, peripherals, printers and wipedown and cleaning of monitors, touchscreens and desktop surfaces. We also do a heavy review and cleaning to our laptops, tablets and equipment we circulate during our inventory review process.