Health Sciences Instructional Design
Instructional Technology & Research Support (ITRS) provides leadership for Health Sciences in the use of innovative technologies and pedagogies that augment teaching and learning across the curriculum. We offer instructional design expertise and course construction capabilities in support of faculty efforts to enhance student learning and engagement. Our goal is to help Health Sciences faculty be innovative, self-reflective, and inspiring educators.
The following support and services are available to:
- Stritch School of Medicine
- Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing
- Parkinson School of Health Sciences and Public Health
Instructional Design Support
Instructional designers consult with faculty to create engaging and interactive instruction. Course designs are grounded in theoretical frameworks and based on best practices in teaching and learning for the designated delivery format. Instructional designers can also work with faculty to design and develop instructional materials for online, hybrid and face-to-face delivery formats, such as multimedia tutorials for remediation or authentic assessments with accompanying rubrics.
- Apply the appropriate pedagogy for the specific learning environment for classroom, online, or blended delivery formats
- Design learner-centered instructional environments that embody authentic and situated learning experiences
- Develop learning objectives and determining how to align those objectives with appropriate assessment strategies to measure the desired learning outcomes
- Apply the principles of Ignatian Pedagogy to the design of instructional environments and activities
- Relate effective ways of motivating and engaging students in activities designed for learning
- Increase student collaboration through the use of online communication tools and group activities
- Become familiar with some of the technology tools currently available at Loyola University
- Select the technology that is most suitable for the course delivery format, the type of learning and the intended audience
- Adapt instructional materials created for one format to another such as translating classroom instruction to online learning
- Design and create multimedia or other supplemental materials to support learning
Course Construction Services
Course construction services include tasks related to building out a course in Sakai that aligns with best practices in message design. These services are offered in conjunction with instructional design projects, as well as stand alone requests.
- Course development
- Message design formatting
- Course imports
- Assessment building
- Basic multimedia development
- Pre-publish course review (i.e., check links, formatting consistency, etc.)
Working with ITRS is a collaborative venture. You are the subject matter expert and will provide the content expertise while the ITRS team provides expertise in teaching and learning theory and course design and development. Together we will devise a plan or a solution to achieve your goals and meet your needs. Even if you aren't sure what you wish to achieve or what you need to do to improve your teaching and/or instruction, work with us! We will help you identify strengths and weaknesses in your pedagogical approach, offer innovative ideas for classroom instruction, or introduce you to learning technologies that can augment your instruction and enhance student engagement.
ITRS also provides assistance with using Loyola’s core instructional systems and interpreting your course data. We encourage you to explore our Instructional Technologies and Learning Analytics sections.
Please visit the ITRS scheduling site to select a service and request an appointment!