Tech Onboarding for Faculty & Staff
Dear Faculty Teaching this Fall,
Fall classes begin Monday, August 26. Information Technology Services (ITS) wants to remind you of the technology support services available to you and your students. There is a lot of information here so while the message is a bit lengthy these are notes you can retain for your reference throughout the semester. Please note these new technology changes for the Fall:
- New Faculty check out the ITS Tech Onboarding PDF.
- SmartEvals for Course Evaluations: As shared in the June 5th email from the Office of the Provost, “Loyola will begin using SmartEvals for all of its course evaluation needs. SmartEvals is a highly customizable, user-friendly, and intuitive course evaluation tool. For the first time, Loyola can customize questions at multiple levels (University, school, department, etc.) and utilize cutting-edge technology (QR codes, University system integration, and mobile device access) while combining new features (dropped course follow-up, built-in dashboards, etc.) with data analysis potential at every level.”
- Online Surveys: To better accommodate the needs of student, faculty, and staff researchers at Loyola, the University has purchased a site-wide subscription to the Qualtrics’ Research Core online survey platform. Students, faculty, and staff at all LUC campuses can begin using Qualtrics by midSeptember. Additional details will be shared closer to the availability date. While Qualtrics will be replacing Opinio as the University-supported online survey software, Opinio will remain available to current users until the end of the Spring 2020 semester.
- Preferred Name in Loyola Systems: Loyola University Chicago is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. We recognize that faculty, staff, and students may use names other than their legal/primary names to identify themselves. Over the spring, the University created and approved a Preferred Name policy. As a result of the policy, ITS has extended the use of Preferred Name throughout our complex system environment. Any student, faculty, or staff member who has access to LOCUS is now able to enter, edit, or delete a Preferred Name. This Preferred Name will then be shared with systems such as Outlook, Sakai, and the Loyola web directory. Other systems will follow at a later date. To review the University policy, read instructions about how to enter a Preferred Name, or see the list of all impacted systems, please go to the Preferred Names FAQ website: https://www.luc.edu/regrec/preferred-name-FAQ.shtml
- Adobe Update: Starting in August in classrooms, (later in the Fall for Faculty and Staff offices) it will be necessary to sign in with a Loyola University ID (UVID) and password when editing or creating new Adobe files (PDF’s, Images, etc). It will not be necessary to sign in if just opening or viewing an Adobe File (PDF’s, Images, etc). In addition, Windows Edge is now the default application for viewing PDFs in classrooms. This is a change required by Adobe. See screenshots and review instructions at https://www.luc.edu/its/services/loyolasoftware/adobecreativecloudccupdate/
- Exchange Online: Over the summer, all Faculty and Staff moved to Exchange Online, which provides users with 100GB of storage, integration with Office365, and enhanced features and functionality. If a person dials in to listen to voicemail vs viewing/listening to messages within Outlook, they will need to set-up their new Voicemail PIN using the Microsoft Instructions sent via email. For more information, visit https://www.luc.edu/its/services/exchange/
- Windows 10 Migration: Information Technology Services (ITS) is in the process of migrating all Windows-based workstations from Windows 7 to the Windows 10 operating system. The migration is scheduled for completion in December 2019. ITS will be contacting all departments with Windows 7 workstations and providing instructions for the migration process. In most cases, the migration is a simple update that can be run overnight. In some cases, it may be necessary for ITS to replace older hardware in order to complete the migration. Look for more information coming this Fall.