Learn from experts. Be practice-ready.

Transactional lawyers need strong analytical, drafting, writing, and negotiation skills so they can counsel organizations and individuals on a variety of legal and business issues. Loyola's JD Certificate in Transactional Law provides you with the valuable training and experience to be successful in firms of all sizes and in various corporate law settings.


To earn a Certificate in Transactional Law, you must complete four required courses, one experiential learning course, and two elective courses with an average grade of B or better.

Required Courses

  • Second Year Fall Term: Federal Income Tax
  • Second Year Spring Term: Corporate and Partnership Tax
  • Business Organizations *
  • Securities Regulation *

* These courses can be taken in any term.

Experiential Courses

You must take one experiential course:

  • Advising Not-for-Profit Organizations: Business Practicum
  • Business Planning
  • Business Law Center Clinic I
  • Contract Negotiation and Drafting
  • Externship

Elective Courses

You must select two elective courses:

  • Advanced Business Transactions and Negotiations
  • Advanced Corporate Tax
  • Advanced Writing for Legal Practice: Business Practice
  • Antitrust
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law Clinic II
  • Business Practice Transactional Skills
  • Corporate Compliance
  • Corporate Governance Law and Practice
  • Consumer Law
  • Documenting and Negotiating Finance Transactions
  • Environmental Law
  • Federal Tax Clinic I
  • Federal Tax Clinic II
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Business Transactions
  • Law and Accounting
  • Law and the Subprime Debacle
  • Mergers and Acquisitions
  • Sales
  • Secured Transactions
  • Securitization
  • Transactional Skills Seminar

Applying for your Certificate

At the beginning of your third year, you must complete an application for the Certificate in Transactional Law. Submit your completed application to an approved faculty member for signature. You must then submit your signed application form to the Law School Registrar's Office.