Patent Law Interview Program: Law Student Information
The Loyola Patent Law Interview Program is a two-day interview program held in Chicago each summer that brings together patent law employers and law students from across the country to interview for summer associate positions and post-graduate employment. The 2018 Patent Law Interview Program will be held on Thursday, July 26 & Friday, July 27 at the Embassy Suites Chicago - Downtown/Lakefront at 511 N. Columbus Drive in downtown Chicago.
Each year roughly 1,500 law students register for the program, submit their resumes, and bid on interviews with the nation-wide employers that interest them. The program is entirely employer selected - which means that participating employers review the resumes submitted to them and choose the law students they are interested in interviewing at the program. Roughly half of the students registered for the program are selected for interviews each year.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
For students, participation in the program takes place in three phases:
- STEP 1: Students complete the online registration form. Once the registration period ends, all students are given an account for PIPER, the online system used to administer the Patent Law Interview Program.
- STEP 2: Once registered students have access to PIPER, they upload their application materials and apply to employers. The employers review the materials submitted to them and select the students they wish to interview and alternate students to be scheduled in the event of cancellations or no-shows. Once the employers have selected the students they wish to interview, PIPER generates interview schedules, which will be available on July 10. After a brief cancellation period, PIPER will schedule students chosen by the employers as alternates into any interview slots opened up as the result of cancellations. Final interview schedules will be available on Symplicity on July 16.
- STEP 3: Students who have been selected for interviews must register on-site at the interview hotel (Embassy Suites Chicago - Downtown/Lakefront) either the evening before their interview (4:00 pm - 7:00 pm) or the morning of their interviews (7:30 am - 8:30 am). The on-site registration requirement is MANDATORY and we will make no exceptions.
Students need only register once on-site to be considered registered for interviews on both days. Students who have not registered by 8:30 am on Thursday, July 26 will have all of their Thursday slots given to alternates; students who still have not registered by 8:30 am on Friday, July 27 will have all of their Friday interview slots given to alternates.
Alternate scheduling will take place in the registration room at 8:30 am each day, and all students selected as alternates who are interested in being scheduled for empty interview slots resulting from no-shows must be present in the registration room at that time.
Only law students are eligible to participate in the Patent Law Interview Program. Law graduates and practicing attorneys are not eligible to participate. It is not required that students be patent bar eligible to register for the program; however, many employers require patent bar eligibility as a qualification for bidding on interviews, and most employers strongly prefer patent bar eligible students. For more information on eligibility for the patent bar, please refer to the General Requirements Bulletin from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
The 2018 Patent Law Interview Program will be accepting registrations from:
- JD students graduating in May/June 2019 (3Ls)
- JD students graduating in May/June 2020 (2Ls)
- JD students graduating in December 2018/January 2019 (3Ls)
- JD students graduating in December 2019/January 2020 (2Ls)
- Students in Intellectual Property LLM programs with anticipated graduation dates in 2019 and 2020
Students who will graduate before the program is held in July 2018 and students who plan to graduate after May/June 2020 are not eligible for the 2018 Patent Law Interview Program.
Student registration will begin online on Thursday, March 1 and end on Friday, March 23 at 11:59 p.m. CST. Please be sure to register before the deadline as we will not be able to accept any late registrations!
Students will not be charged a fee to participate in the Patent Law Interview Program. However, each law school will be charged a fee based on the number of students from their school that register for the program. Students will not be given access to PIPER until their school has paid any applicable registration fees.
HOTEL & TRAVEL INFORMATION
Additional information about reserving rooms at a special rate will be provided to registered students prior to the Patent Law Interview Program this summer.
Please also note that any travel plans you make must accommodate the on-site registration requirement. Because you must register by 8:30 am on the day of your interviews, we do not recommend flying in the morning of your interviews. Even a short delay could cause you to miss on-site registration and forfeit all of your interviews for that day.
When making travel plans, students should also bear in mind that a few law firms choose to hold receptions on either Wednesday evening or Thursday evening. These receptions are an excellent networking opportunity, and we encourage all students to arrange their travel schedule to take advantage of these opportunities.
Please contact the Patent Law Interview Program Liaison at your law school with any questions.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR STUDENTS
|Student Registration Beings||March 1|
|Student Registration Deadline||March 23 @ 11:59 p.m. CST|
|Students Receive Access to PIPER||May 14|
|Student Bidding Begins||May 29|
|Student Bidding Deadline||June 8|
|Preliminary Interview Schedules Available||July 10|
|Interview Cancellation Period||July 10-12|
|Final Interview Schedules Available||July 16|
|2018 Patent Law Interview Program||July 26 & July 27|