Public Interest Websites
For students interested in pursuing a career in public interest, the links below give a good overview of the types of legal aid and public interest organizations that exist in Illinois and beyond.
These websites are a good place to start when looking for a volunteer opportunity to build your resume or a summer internship. Keep in mind that many public interest positions are unpaid. For information on funding, see our Public Interest Funding page.
CHICAGO PUBLIC INTEREST ORGANIZATIONS
- Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago
- ACLU of Illinois
- Alliance for the Great Lakes
- American Bar Association Center for Pro Bono
- Anti-Defamation League - Greater Chicago/Upper Midwest Region
- Better Government Association
- Business & Professional People for the Public Interest
- Cabrini Green Legal Aid
- Catholic Charities Legal Assistance
- Center for Conflict Resolution
- Center for Disability and Elder Law
- Center on Halsted
- Centro Romero
- Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation (CAASE)
- Chicago Appleseed
- Chicago Children's Advocacy Center
- Chicago Coalition for the Homeless
- Chicago Foundation for Women
- Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Chicago Legal Clinic
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services
- Corporation for Supportive Housing
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Domestic Violence Legal Clinic
- Environmental Law and Policy Center
- Equip for Equality
- Family Defense Center
- Farmworker & Landscaper Advocacy Project
- First Defense Legal Aid
- Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Illinois Legal Aid Online
- John Howard Association of Illinois (working for prison reform)
- Just the Beginning - A Pipeline Organization
- Lambda Legal
- Lawyers' Committee for Better Housing
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
- Legal Council for Health Justice
- Loyola Child & Family Law Clinic
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund - Midwest Regional Office
- National Immigrant Justice Center
- National Labor Relations Board - Region 13
- Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI)
- Rape Victim Advocates
- Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law
- Smart Policy Works (formerly Health & Disability Advocates)
- Women Employed
LIST OF PUBLIC INTEREST ORGANIZATIONS ACROSS ILLINOIS
This document lists over 175 public interest organizations including government agencies located across Illinois. Please note that while we do update this list periodically as organizations change addresses, it is always a good idea to check the organization’s website before sending your materials.
NATIONAL PUBLIC INTEREST WEBSITES
- Equal Justice Works
- Foundation Center
Provides information about every foundation in the country. Much of the information provided is free, but some is only available to paying subscribers. The job corner contains a database of job openings in foundations, corporate grant makers, and other nonprofit organizations.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center
- Legal Services Corporation
A private, non-profit corporation established by Congress in 1974 to assure equal access to justice. This website features jobs located at the Legal Services Corporation.
- Opportunity Knocks
This is a non-profit organization that features classifieds, which can be searched by region or state as well as regional sites. Opportunity Knocks also has job search process information, such as how to write a resume and articles on interviewing.
Trains and mobilizes law students and new lawyers across the country to foster legal expertise and support for the realization of reproductive justice.
- National Fair Housing Advocate
Lists positions with organizations and governmental agencies dealing with fair housing issues.
INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC INTEREST WEBSITES
Listing of non-profit jobs and internships available locally, nationally, and world wide.
- Lawyers without Borders
A global association of lawyers dedicated to the promotion and protection of human justice via pro bono service.
- PSJD: Finding & Funding International Public Service Opportunities