Loyola University Chicago

School of Law

Transfer of Credit Policy

For Loyola students who seek to transfer credit from another law school

Regularly enrolled students, for good reasons, may apply to the associate dean for student affairs for permission to undertake courses at other approved law schools which are members of the Association of American Law Schools and accredited by the American Bar Association for credit to be transferred and applied toward satisfaction of the requirements for graduation from Loyola University Chicago School of Law.

If such permission is granted, the credit shall be accepted upon presentation by the student of an official transcript showing completion of the course with the grade of at least "C" or the equivalent. Transfer credit will not be granted for courses in which credit is given on a "pass/fail" basis or "credit/no credit" basis. Only credit for semester hours will transfer to Loyola; grades achieved at other law schools will not be counted toward a student's cumulative grade point average, but they will be counted for purposes of denying laudatory status at graduation.

Normally, approval will not be given if the same course is offered at Loyola, except for summer programs located at a law school in another city. All required courses must be taken at Loyola.

Request for Transfer of Credit Form (PDF)‌

If you want Loyola to grant credit for classes taken at another law school, please be aware of the following requirements:

  1. The host law school will need a "Letter of Good Standing" (sometimes called a "Dean's Letter") from Loyola as part of your application to that school. The letter is prepared at the Office of Registration and Records, Room 1203. You must go there and complete a request form for the letter.
  2. If you are applying for permission to be a visiting student for a semester or more and you have taken out student loans, you must meet with Loyola's Financial Aid/Loan Collection Office, inform them when and where you will be visiting, and get an approval signature.
  3. Courses that you wish to be counted toward your Loyola degree must be approved prior to the beginning of each semester. A "Request for Transfer of Credit" form is available at the Dean's Office. You must complete and submit this form prior to the time that you register for courses at another school. On that form, you must list the courses you plan to take. You will be notified if a course is not approved. It is assumed that each course you select will be a graded course. (You will not receive credit for ungraded courses. See #5 below.)
  4. The "Request for Transfer of Credit" form must be accompanied by a letter explaining in detail the reasons for your request and a check in the amount of $250 per semester, payable to "Loyola University Chicago School of Law." The form, letter and check should be submitted to Dean Faught (Room 1230) or Dean Gaspardo (Room 1227) or Ms. Santibanez-Bania (Room 1240).
  5. Loyola will not grant credit for pass/fail or credit/no credit courses from another law school. Only courses in which all students receive a grade will be permitted to transfer to Loyola. (As a result, credit for externships, independent research projects and similar ungraded courses will not transfer back to Loyola.)
  6. You must receive a grade of "C" or better (or its equivalent) for each course that is to transfer. You will not be granted credit at Loyola for transfer courses with a grade of less that "C." (The grade of "C-" will not transfer to Loyola.)
  7. Transfer grades will not be used to calculate a student's cumulative grade point average, but will be used to calculate the denial or lowering (not achievement or improvement) of honors status at graduation. In other words, low grades at the host school will be used to deny or lower honors status based on Loyola grades only, and high grades will not be used to bring you into or improve honors status.
  8. You are responsible for having your host school forward a final transcript of your work each semester. Credit will not be granted without receipt of an original transcript.
  9. If you plan to sit for a bar exam other than the Illinois bar exam, you are responsible for sending the proof of legal studies form from that state's bar examiners to the Loyola School of Law Registrar in order to have it completed and submitted to bar examination authorities.