For Fall 2022, Applied Auditions are required for new and returning students.
About Applied Music
Applied Music is a one-credit course consisting of individual private lessons, culminating in a juried performance at the end of the semester. Additional performance opportunities may include studio recitals, master classes, and the Honors Recital. Click here for a list of the Applied Lessons we offer.
There are two categories of applied lessons:
MUSC 280: Applied Music: 30-minute lesson each week (1 credit)
MUSC 380: Advanced Applied Music: 60-minute lession each week. MUSC 380 lessons are reserved for Music Majors only. (1 credit)
Enrollment in Applied Music is not guaranteed and students will be asked to apply each semester to receive applied instruction. Students whose major or minor require Applied Lessons will be given priority according to the following structure:
- Music Majors: One 380, and up to two additional 280s OR one additional 380 each semester (please submit a separate application for each course)
- Music Minors: One 280 each semester
- Musical Theatre Minors: One 280 each semester (up to four semesters guaranteed)
- Non-Music Majors or Minors: By audition only as space allows (see audition instructions below)
Auditions will be submitted via video and should be submitted with application materials by the deadlines outlined below:
Application goes live
(currently enrolled students will be notified via email)
|Application and Audition Link||Click Here|
|Application Deadline for Returning Students||March 27|
|Enrollment status notifiations for Returning Students||April 1|
|Department will enroll approved Returning Students||April 4|
|Application Deadline for New Students||August 5|
|Enrollment status notifications to New Students||August 12|
|Department will enroll approved New Students||August 17|
All new students regardless of major or minor must submit the application with an audition video by the due date to be considered for Applied Lessons.
- The audition video should include a performance of one selection that demonstrates the student's ability. Students can choose a complete piece or an excerpt in any style and there is no requirement of length.
- Video should be uploaded to YouTube, marked "Unlisted", and the URL should be copy/pasted into the online application form.
Instrumentalists: contact Haysun Kang at email@example.com
Vocalists: contact Kirsten Hedegaard at firstname.lastname@example.org