Complete your BSN in just one year at one of the top online nursing programs in the country.
Our Commitment to You
Upon completion of the RN-to-BSN program, you will possess the following knowledge, skills, and professional values necessary to practice confidently in the health care setting:
- Integrate research into evidence-based practice
- Promote health and quality of life in the community
- Use awareness of health policy issues to advocate for change
- Provide compassionate, high-quality nursing care to patients across the life span.
- Work effectively with health care teams to contribute to positive patient outcomes.
- Evaluate research-based evidence for planning, implementing, and evaluating outcomes of care
- Apply ethical principles in decision-making
- Demonstrate life-long habits of critical thinking, leadership, and service
- A commitment to social justice and cura personalis, care for the whole person
- Focus on communities and community-wide outcomes
- Adhere to the highest standards of professionalism
- Celebrate diversity and respect the rights, dignity and worth of individuals
Loyola’s RN-to-BSN online program puts you on an accelerated track to your bachelor’s degree. It is specially designed to include previous education and current work experience. The 120-hour curriculum consists of four separate areas: transfer credits, nursing courses, University Core requirements, and a Professional Nursing ePortfolio. RN to BSN students must complete a minimum of 30 credits online through Loyola.
COURSES & CREDIT HOURS
Transfer credits: Maximum total 66 credit hours
- 30 nursing credits
- 36 general education credits
Nursing courses: 24 credit hours
- Concepts of Professional Nursing Practice
- Bridge Course: Nursing Concepts
- Community Health
- Community Health: Lab
- Nursing Research: Evidence-Based Practice
- Health Assessment
- Leadership for Professional Nursing Practice
- Nursing Ethics
University Core Requirements: Six to 18 credit hours
Requirements may be fulfilled by general education transfer credit. A minimum of six credits of University core requirements must be completed online through Loyola.
- Quantitative Knowledge, PSYC: Statistics
- Loyola's Mission, THEO 190: Ignatian Traditions
- Artistic Knowledge
- Historical Knowledge
- Literary Knowledge
- Foundational Knowledge
Professional Nursing Portfolio Requirement: Maximum of 25 credit hours
Students are required to earn credits through a Professional Nursing ePortfolio, up to 25 credits depending on professional accomplishments. If a student does not meet the needed credits from the ePortfolio, additional credits must be earned from Loyola courses. Elective or core courses may satisfy a portion of this requirement.
Full-time and part-time enrollment options are available to online RN-to-BSN students. Each course is three credit hours and taught over six to eight weeks.
Full-Time Program Plan:
Full-time students complete a total of 12 credit hours each semester and take two courses each session. The full-time program plan may be completed in a minimum of one academic year if all core courses transfer in at the time of admission.
RN-BSN Program Plan (Full Time)
Part-Time Program Plan:
Part-time students complete a total of six credit hours each semester and take one course each session. The part-time program plan may be completed in a minimum of two academic years if all core courses transfer in at the time of admission.
RN-BSN Program Plan (Part Time)
COMMUNITY COLLEGE PARTNERSHIPS
The Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing has partnerships with three community colleges to help provide a seamless transition from completing an ADN to the online RN-to-BSN program.
College of Lake County
Moraine Valley Community College
Tuition and Financial Aid
The Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing and Loyola's Financial Aid Office are committed to helping students secure the financial resources to make their education at Loyola affordable.
What are the pre-requisites for the RN-to-BSN program?
The RN-to-BSN program does not have any specific course prerequisites although applicants must hold a current RN license. Students may transfer core requirement courses. Once admitted, students must complete university core requirements at Loyola. See the Curriculum section above for more information.
Will I be required to be online at a specific time?
No, courses are offered asynchronously.
Can I earn portfolio credit while in the program?
How do I earn additional credits if I do not meet criteria of portfolio?
Online electives are offered for students who need additional credits throughout the program.
What is it like to take courses online?
You are part of a community of students who participate in regular discussions and have the opportunity to connect with peers and faculty in a centralized course system. You can actively learn when it is convenient for you, allowing you to process information at your own speed.
Am I required to visit campus?
No, the program is 100% online.
How long does it take to complete the program?
It will take a minimum of three semesters to complete the RN to BSN program.
Can I attend commencement?
Of course! We welcome all students who meet graduation requirements to participate in commencement.