Applicants may be required to submit additional materials:
- Language Test Requirement: An official TOEFL or IELTS score report is required for international applicants whose native language is not English. For the TOEFL, a score of at least 79 on the Internet-based or 550 on the written-based test is required. For the IELTS, a minimum score of 6.5 is required. Copies and faxes are not accepted as official documents; we must receive test scores directly from the testing service.
This requirement is waived for those who have completed a four-year U.S. bachelor's degree program and those who are citizens of or have completed a bachelor's degree at a recognized institution at which the language of instruction is English in these countries: Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Transcript Evaluation: Applicants who completed post-secondary education abroad are required to submit non-U.S. transcripts to Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE), Educational Perspectives (EP) or the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) for evaluation of credentials. The evaluation report must show that your non-U.S. education is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's in nursing degree or a U.S. master's in nursing degree, contingent upon application requirements, to be considered for admission.
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE), www.ece.org, 414.289.3400
Educational Perspectives, www.edperspective.org, 312-421-9300
Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS), www.cgfns.org
Please request a General Evaluation with Grade Average and have the official report sent to:Graduate & Professional Enrollment Management
820 N. Michigan Ave., suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60611
Copies and faxes are not accepted as official documents; we must receive the report directly. Applicants currently enrolled in a program should not request the evaluation until the last term of enrollment, or until after graduation. If an evaluation is requested prior to the last term of enrollment, the appropriate equivalency cannot be established or verified.
For more information, please visit International Admission.
Before initiating the application process, please contact Dr. Barbara Velsor-Friedrich, PhD Program Director, to discuss your proposed area of research interest. Dr. Velsor-Friedrich can be reached at 773.508.2892 or email@example.com.
You must submit:
- A Completed Application Form: You may submit your application form online.
- Official Transcripts: Applicants must submit official transcripts for all undergraduate and any graduate work. To be eligible for admission, your transcripts must show an earned bachelor's degree and a graduate degree completed or in progress from an accredited master’s nursing program.. Certified copies of transcripts are acceptable; faxed copies of transcripts are not considered official. If you attended Loyola University Chicago previously, you do not need to request transcripts; we have them on record.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: If you supply your recommender’s email address as part of your completed online application form, then your recommendation letters may be submitted online. Or, your recommenders may choose to mail them to:
Graduate & Professional Enrollment Management
820 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60611
We ask that you submit only three letters, no more, no less. Recommendations must come from nurses who hold PhD degrees. They may be academic or professional in nature.
- A Personal Statement: Your statement should address your interest in entering Loyola’s program, including a summary of academic and research interest, professional goals, and potential faculty mentors.
- Test Scores: The GRE is required for all applicants. However, if GPA is 3.25 or greater from previously completed programs, the GRE may be waived. For more information, visit www.gre.org.
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Current Nursing License: Students must hold a current license from a U.S. state. International students must hold the equivalence of a license from their country.
- Research or Scholarly References Paper
PhD application deadlines:
|Term||Application Deadline||Term Starts|
|Fall||March 1||Late August|
While not required for admission, you’ll also need to complete a criminal background check before you can begin your clinical practicums. Please be aware the results of your background check may impact our ability to place you in a clinical setting.
For more information, see our Frequently Asked Questions.