Online Teaching Course
Administered by Loyola’s Office of Online Learning, the Online Teaching Course (OTC) is designed to prepare faculty for teaching and delivering high-quality online, hybrid, and blended courses. Faculty who take the OTC can expect to gain more knowledge, experience, and confidence in:
- Using online learning technologies to deliver course materials and engage students
- Best practices for designing or revising a course for delivery in online environments
- Creating online-ready activities and assignments and providing students with feedback
- Applying teaching strategies such as active learning and Ignatian Pedagogy in online environments
- Making online courses accessible to all student populations
The OTC is comprised of two courses – OTC: Design and OTC: Facilitate. Both are four-week, fully online, and instructor-led. Faculty may choose which courses best fit their learning needs and may take either course synchronously or asynchronously. Below you will find descriptions of each course, the dates each run, and links to register. Please email the Office of Online Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
How do you take an existing course and adapt it for online delivery? How do you design a new course for the online environment? What does a high-quality online course look like? In Online Teaching Course: Design, you will learn how to design a new online course, redesign a face-to-face course for online delivery, or revise an online course to improve overall quality. OTC: Design helps you plan "on paper" a fantastic online course for your students.
This course will prepare you to:
- plan the engagement of online students;
- use backward course design as a strategy to design your online course;
- infuse Ignatian Pedagogy into the design of your online course;
- plan group work and active learning activities suitable for an online classroom;
- design effective feedback in the online environment;
- create and select accessible materials for online courses;
- assemble an online course syllabus
- and much more!
Our Fall session of OTC: Design will run from 9/8/2020 to 10/2/2020. Please complete the OTC: Design FA20 registration form to enroll.
How is teaching online different from teaching in the classroom? How do you manage and interact with students you never see in person? How do you effectively use technology to create a successful online learning environment? In Online Teaching Course: Facilitate we will cover how to successfully build and deliver an online course at Loyola University Chicago.
In this course, you will learn:
- the roles and responsibilities of an online instructor before, during, and after the course;
- effective use of instructional technologies such as Sakai, Zoom, Panopto, and VoiceThread;
- methods for communicating with students and creating an online learning community;
- techniques for leading engaging online learning activities;
- multiple approaches for assessing your students’ learning in the online environment;
- strategies for providing your students with frequent and substantive feedback;
- and much more!
Our Fall session of OTC: Facilitate will run from 11/2/2020 to 12/4/2020. Please complete the OTC: Facilitate FA20 registration form to enroll.
Instructional Technologies Course
Offered and operated by Loyola's Instructional Technology and Research Support group, the Instructional Technologies Course (ITC) is a companion course to the OTC. Designed to help the Loyola community (faculty, staff, and students) explore different technology resources that can be used throughout the educational process, this course provides the opportunity to explore the different features, functions, and purposes of the technologies available to the LUC community. This course complements the OTC but is not a requirement for participation in the OTC. Visit the ITC page to learn more.
The next ITC course has filled. A second course will be added and run this summer from June 29 - July 24. See the ITC page linked above for registration, coming soon.