BS Public Health News
Stay up to date with news, updates, and announcements from the BS in Public Health program. Know a student or faculty member who has done exceptional work in public health? Contact Keith Kramer to spotlight a student or faculty in the BS in Public Health program within the Parkinson School of Health Sciences and Public Health.
BSPH Student Profile: Margaux Whitehead
As a junior currently completing her BS in Public Health in the Parkinson School of Health Sciences and Public Health, Margaux Whitehead is also a charter member and co-president of the Public Health Club.
"The second I stepped into PUBH 300, Introduction to Public Health, I was met with engaging professors, people who challenged my beliefs, a diversity of opinions and perspectives, and a collective ambition to make the world a healthier, more equitable place. The professors took the time to know my story, not just my name. The student-centric, collaborative, career-focused, quality improvement-driven community of the public health program was evident to me from my very first impressions. The caliber of support and investment in students within the BSPH program is unchallenged—and, in that moment, I knew I am where I am meant to be."
View: Student Perspectives: Margaux Whitehead (video interviews on Loyola, the B.S. in Public Health Program, and the Public Health Club)
Parkinson Professional Development Workshop Series 2020-2021
A collaboration between Career Services and the BSPH Program at LUC, the Parkinson Professional Development Workshop series kicked off this academic year with Building Experience During the Pandemic. Workshops links and recordings are available below. For more information, contact Keith Kramer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Building Experience During the Pandemic, September 24, 4 – 5:30 PM, Christie Anderson Asif, Career Services: Click here to view the recording.
- Building a Competitive Pre-Health Application, October 15, 4 – 5:30 PM, Andrea Beaumont, Health Sciences Advising: Click here to view the recording.
- Developing Your Professional Network: LinkedIn and Networking Strategies, November 12, 4 – 5:30 PM, Christie Andersen Asif, Career Services: Click here to view the recording.
- Is Graduate School in Your Future?, January 28, 4 – 5:30 PM, Christie Andersen Asif, Career Services: Click here to view the recording.
- Internships & Job Search Strategies, February 25, 4 – 5:30 PM, Christie Andersen Asif, Career Services: Click here to view the recording.
- Professional Ethics in Healthcare, April 1, 4 – 5:30 PM: Click here to view the recording.
- Research, Funding and Support: A Panel Discussion Including a BSPH Student’s Experience, April 15, 4 – 5:00 PM, https://luc.zoom.us/j/97170097491
- BSPH Spring 2021 Newsletter
- BSPH Fall 2020 Newsletter
- BSPH Spring 2020 Newsletter
- BSPH Winter 2020 Newsletter
- BSPH Fall 2019 Newsletter
- BSPH Summer 2019 Newsletter
The Public Health Club (PHC) seeks to create and promote opportunities for service, education, social and community connections, professional and leadership skills development related to public health on campus, in local communities and beyond.
Public Health Club (PHC) Spring 2021 Programs
- Public Health Club X LUPHA Mentor/Mentee Program - First Meeting! This is our optional mentor/mentee program with the graduate MD/MPH and MPH students at the Health Sciences Campus! Even if you aren't part of the formal 1:1 program, feel free to join us as we discuss current events and professional development topics with the graduate students. Meetings occur once a month, Saturday, January 30th at 11 AM CST (repeats on February 27th, March 20th, & April 17th) Topic for January: How to Write a Resume + Current Events Article Discussion; https://luc.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMrfuGvrjkiHtywxZiRFhsXuobaVd4_OYg9
- Public Health Club Speaker Spotlight: Dr. Maureen Benjamins, PhD - Social Epidemiology (Parkinson School of Health Sciences & Public Health + Sinai Urban Health Institute)
- Thursday, February 4th at 3PM CST, https://luc.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEuduihrzkvHdztZhS_WpHAlchYd9H9SIZE
- Dean Elaine’s Student Forum, “The Intersection of Science with Social and Political Will: Reflections in our Time of COVID,” Tuesday, February 16, 7PM, co-sponsored by the BSPH Program and the Public Health Club (PHC): https://luc.zoom.us/j/82672986881
- Public Health 101 Series: Health Policy and Administration with Dr. Diana Silver, PhD (NYU School of Global Public Health),Tuesday, March 2nd at 6 PM CST, https://luc.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIsdeiupzstEtdnQ3ettvm5pUwiWoO6euHB
- Public Health Club Speaker Spotlight: Dr. Sparkle Springfield, PhD - Research in Nutrition (Parkinson School of Health Sciences & Public Health), Thursday, March 25th at 4 PM CST, https://luc.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0qc-GqrD8jE9UUIftNlAzbzMRdeiseH09P and Tuesday, March 30th at 6 PM CST, https://luc.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIscu-orz8vH91dJqH7eKM2Z5VkLHgFKpcU
- Public Health Club Speaker Spotlight: Dr. Sean M. Kivlehan, MD, MPH - Global Health & Emergency Medicine (Harvard Humanitarian Initiative)