Loyola University > Parkinson School of Health Sciences and Public Health > Faculty > Directory > Faculty Profile
Health Informatics and Data Science
Dr. Tootooni is a researcher, a data scientist, and an engineer with interests in machine learning, natural language processing, operations research, and applied statistics. He received his PhD in Industrial and Systems Engineering from State University of New York, Binghamton, NY in 2016. The focus of his dissertation was developing novel machine learning and real-time monitoring models and their application in different domains. After graduation, he joined Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN as Research Associate where he focused on artificial intelligence modeling on EHR datasets. He has mentored postdocs and Medical and PhD students and taught courses such as ontology in health and natural language processing.
- Binghamton University, Ph.D.
I think one special characteristic of Health Informatics that I really like is the interdisciplinary nature of it. Not only the curriculum and content of the courses are multidisciplinary, but also almost all conducted research are collaborative works with scholars from different backgrounds, such as clinicians from different hospitals and researchers from other departments/schools/universities. This of course provides opportunities to meet and work with wonderful scientists from different backgrounds. Also, after a while listening to expert's insights from different perspectives, you grow a systematic multi-aspect thinking which is super helpful in clinical problem solving.
I believe Health Informatics bridges between healthcare science and data science to help healthcare systems to provide higher quality, more affordable, and faster care.
What would you tell a student about why your field is exciting/important/the potential impact s/he could make?
Artificial intelligence has an emerging role in decision making in different aspects of human life and I believe it is fascinating that we can learn to utilize it in saving lives and improving patient care.
- Dialysis, COVID-19, Poverty and Race in Greater Chicago: An Ecological Analysis S. Bhayani, et al Kidney medicine 2020
- A Sparse Representation Classification Approach for Near Real-Time, Physics-Based Functional Monitoring of Aerosol Jet-Fabricated Electronics R.R. Salary, J.P. Lombardi, D.L. Weerawarne, M.S. Tootooni, P.K. Rao, M.D. Poliks JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2020 (8):142
- Progressive Multi Class Predictive Modeling of Disposition Decision at Different Care Delivery Stages in an Emergency Department M.S. Tootooni, K.S. Pasupathy, H.A. Heaton, C.M. Clements, M.Y. Sir AMIA 2019
- CCMapper: An adaptive NLP-based free-text chief complaint mapping algorithm M.S. Tootooni, K.S. Pasupathy. H.A. Heaton, C.M. Clements, M.Y. Sir Computers in biology and medicine 2019 ;113:103398
- 1462: The Association Between Acute Kidney Injury and Clinical Outcomes in ICU Patients K. Tgavalekos, et al Critical care medicine 2019 ;47(1):707
- Incidence of Acute Kidney Injury Among Critically Ill Patients With Brief Empiric Use of Antipseudomonal B-lactams With Vancomycin D.J. Schreier, et al Clinical Infectious Diseases 2019 ;68(9):1456-1462
- In Situ Functional Monitoring of Aerosol Jet-Printed Electronic Devises Using a Combined Sparse Representation-Based Classification (SRC) Approach R. Salary, J.P. Lombardi III, D.L. Weerawarne, M.S. Tootooni, P.K. Rao, M.D. Poliks INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CONFERENCE 2018 ;51357
- Analysis of Vendor Managed Consignment Inventory System with Kan-ban Withdrawals and Payment Delays R.K. Ramrakhyani, M.S. Tootooni, N. Nagarur INDUSTRIAL AND SYSTEMS ENGINEERING REVIEW 2018 ;6(1):41-61
- Assessing the Geometric Integrity of Additive Manufactured Parts from Point Cloud Data Using Spectral Graph Theoretic Sparse Representation-Based Classification M.S. Tootooni, A. Dsouza, R. Donovan, P.K. Rao, Z. Kong, P. Borgesen INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CONFERENCE 2017 ;50732
- Classifying the Dimensional Variation in Additive Manufactured Parts from Laser-Scanned Three-Dimensional Point Cloud Data Using Machine Learning Approaches M.S. Tootooni, A. Dsouza, R. Donovan, P.K. Rao, Z.J. Kong, P. Borgesen JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2017 ;139(9)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling and Online Monitoring of Aerosol Jet Printing Process R. R. Salary, et al JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2017 ;139(2)
- A Spectral Graph Theoretic Approach for Monitoring Multivariate Time Series Data from Complex Dynamical Processes M.S. Tootooni, P.K. Rao, C.A. Chou, Z.J. Kong IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATION SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING 2016 ;15(1):127-144
- Online Non-Contact Surface Finish Measurement in Machining Using Graph Theory-Based Image Analysis M.S. Tootooni, et al JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS 2016 ;41:266-276
- Sensor Based Monitoring of Multidimensional Complex Systems Using Spectral Graph Theory M.S. Tootooni 2016
- In Situ Sensor-Based Monitoring and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Modeling of Aerosol Jet Printing (AJP) Process R. Salary, J.P. Lombardi, M.S. Tootooni, R. Donovan, P.K. Rao, M.D. Poliks INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CONFERENCE 2016 ;49903
- Acute Stress Detection Using Recurrence Quantification Analysis Electroencephalogram (EEG) Signals M. Fan, M.S. Tootooni, R.S. Sivasubramony, V Miskovic, P.K. Rao, C.A. Chou INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BRAIN INFORMATICS 2016 :252-261
- Graph Theoretic Compressive Sensing Approach for Classification of Global Neurophysiological States from Electroencephalography (EEG) Signals M.S. Tootooni, M. Fan, R.S. Sivasubramony, C.A. Chou, V. Miskovic, P.K. Rao INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BRAIN INFORMATICS 2016 :42-51
- Profiling and Optimizing the Geometric Accuracy of Additively Manufactured Components Via Self-Organizing Map M. Khanzadeh, R.J. Marandi, M.S. Tootooni, L. Bian, B. Smith, P. Rao ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL SOLID FREEFORM FABRICATION SYMPOSIUM (SFF) 2016 :8-10
- Analysis of Process Layout Behavior Under Different Manufacturing Strategies A.Y. Obeidat, S. Gu, S. Mukherjee, M.S. Tootooni, N.N. Nagarur 2013