NTT Faculty Vote to Ratify Agreements with SEIU Local 73
April 27, 2018
Non-tenure-track faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) and English Language Learning Program (ELLP) have voted overwhelmingly to ratify their respective three-year collective bargaining agreements with Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 73. The final step is for the University’s Board of Trustees to approve the agreements, which is expected to occur at the June board meeting.
The agreements with CAS and ELLP SEIU-represented faculty extend through June 30, 2021. They:
- Provide significant pay increases for all SEIU-represented faculty;
- Make Loyola CAS non-tenure-track faculty among the highest paid non-tenured faculty in Chicagoland;
- Offer a 38–40 percent increase to the standard per-credit-hour rate for part-time CAS instructors;
- Provide annual raises for SEIU-represented faculty, consistent with those earned by tenured and tenure-track faculty;
- Provide greater job security and longer appointments for both full-time and part-time unionized faculty;
- Establish a new classification of part-time faculty, known as “Adjunct Instructors,” which would come with a pay raise and a two-year appointment; and
- Create a professional development fund specifically for unionized faculty in CAS.
Our non-tenure-track faculty are integral to the fabric of our academic community. These contracts reflect not only Loyola’s appreciation for the many contributions of our NTT faculty but also our core mission of providing a high-quality, affordable education to all of our students.
Jo Ann Rooney, JD, LLM, EdD
Loyola University Chicago