Faculty and Staff
Gezinus J. Hidding
Title/s: Associate Professor
Office #: Schreiber 417
External Webpage: http://ghiddin.sites.luc.edu
Gezinus J. Hidding, joined the faculty of the Quinlan School of Business of Loyola University Chicago in 1996, after a 10-year career with Andersen Consulting (now Accenture). He was promoted (early) to Associate Professor of Information Systems in 2001, and received the School's Outstanding Teacher of the Year Graduate Programs award in 2016, Faculty Member of the Year award in 2002 and its Teaching Innovation Award in 2001. He has authored over 30 refereed publications and presented to executive audiences in the US, Europe and Japan.
Dr. Hidding is funding the Aart Bosman prize, awarded annually by the University of Groningen, the Netherlands for the best graduating student. He is Founder and Managing Member of Hidding Investment Management, LLC (2014 - present), and is Founder and CEO of You Rent It, Inc. (2001 - present). He was chairman of the Board of Directors of Verhuur.nl, an Easy2Find company, in the Netherlands (2001 - 2010). He has consulted with several (international) organizations, large and small, regarding Strategic Use of IT, Systems Development Methods, and Knowledge Management.
Dr. Hidding received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Information Systems from the Tepper School of Business of Carnegie Mellon University. Born and raised in the Netherlands, he received a B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Econometrics from the University of Groningen.
Dr. Hidding's teaching and research interests include Management of I.T.-intensive Projects, Ignatian Pedagogy, and Fundamental Principles of Personal Investing.
- PhD Information Systems, 1992
- MS Systems Science - MIS, 1985
- Graduate School of Industrial Administration (now Tepper School of Business) of Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA Dissertation Title: Strategy Decision Making: An Expert Systems Implementation
- MS ("doctoraal") Econometrics - MIS, 1982
- BS ("kandidaats") Econometrics, 1979 University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
- Management of I.T.-intensive projects
- Ignatian Pedagogy
- Fundamental Principles of Personal Investing
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Society of Information Management (SIM)
- International Institute of Business Analysis
- Founder and Management Member of Hidding Investment Management, LLC (2015 – present)
- Founder and CEO of YouRentIt.com
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of verhuur.nl (2001-2010), an Easy2Find B.V. company, in the Netherlands. Member of the Boards of Advisors of Chicago-based CouponWerks (2004 - 2006), TEKChand LLC (2001 - 2004), CentraCom, Inc. (2001 - 2005), RocketCheck.com (2000 - 2002) and Eolas Development Corporation (1998 - 2000).
- Advised the (National Library of Medicine funded) IAIMS project at Loyola Medical Center regarding requirements analysis for a datawarehousing project and proposal development (2002). Advised several companies in strategic use of IT, management of I.T.-intensive projects and Knowledge Management.
- Accenture (1986-1996) Generally received "outstanding" performance reviews. Was promoted 5 times. AI/Knowledge Based systems in US and France. Conceptual leadership on multi-year program to re-engineer the firm's methodologies from all competency groups for world-wide practice.
- ISSCM 247. Computer Concepts and Applications
- INFS 347. Systems Analysis and Design
- ISSCM 349. Project Management
- INFS 493. Strategic Use of IT (previously also called "eCommerce technology")
- INFS 497. Intelligent Systems for Business
- ISSCM 601. Strategic Use of IT
- INFS 797. Applications of eBusiness Technology
- 2016 Quinlan School of Business Outstanding Teacher of the Year Graduate Programs
- 2002 Quinlan School of Business Faculty Member of the Year award
- Promoted (early) to Associate Professor with tenure (Summer 2001)
- 2001 Quinlan School of Business Teaching Innovation Award
Hidding, G. J., Nicholas, J. M. (2017). Rethinking I.T. Project Management: Early Empirical Results. Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 27(1), 81-95. http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hoce20/27/1
"A Framework for Post-Crisis Business Continuity Plans", (with Sharvari Kulkarni and Serhat Cicekoglu as 1st and 3rd authors), Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences (HICSS), Poipu, Kauai, HI, Jan. 5-8, 2015, IEEE Computer Society Press.
"Reducing I.T. Project Management Failures: Early Empirical Results" (with J. Nicholas as 2nd author), Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences (HICSS), Waikoloa Village, HI, Jan. 6-9, 2014, IEEE Computer Society Press.
"A Generalized Rubric for Reflective Assignments with the Ignatian Pedagogy Paradigm" (with Carol Scheidenhelm and Shannon Milligan as 2nd and 3rd authors), Journal of Jesuit Business Education, Fall 2014. An earlier version was presented at, and appeared in the proceedings of, the Colleagues in Jesuit Business Education (CJBE) conference, held in St. Louis in July 14-16, 2013.
"Information Systems as a Professional Discipline: Focus on the Management of Technology" Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2012, pp. 347-360. An earlier version was presented as a keynote speech at, and appeared pp. 3-8 in the proceedings (published by IEEE) of, the 34th International Conference on Information Technology Interfaces (ITI) held in Cavtat/Dubrovnik, Croatia, June 25-28, 2012.
Hidding, G. J., Williams, J. R., & Sviokla, J. J. "How Platform Leaders Win." Journal of Business Strategy, 32 (2), 29-37 (2011).
Kizior, R. J. & Hidding, G. J. "Emphasizing Business Analysis to Increase IS Enrollments." Information Systems Education Journal, 8. 7 (2010).
Nicholas, J. M. & Hidding, G. J. "Management Principles Associated with IT Project Success." International Journal of Management and Information Systems, 14. 4 (2010).
Hidding, Gezinus. , Williams, J., & Sviokla, J. "The IT Platform Principle: The First Shall Not Be First." Sloan Management Review(2010).
Hidding, Gezinus. , Wilson, T., Kuncheria, T., & Williams, J. "Complementary Resources' Role in First Movers and Followers in I.T. industries." Journal of Information Science and Technology, 5. 3 (2008).
Ankney, Kristine. & Hidding, G. "Fast-follower Advantages and Network Externalities in I.T.-driven markets." Journal of Information Science and Technology, 2. 2 (2005). 5-24.
Hidding, Gezinus. & Nicholas, J. "Reducing Project Failures Through Value-Driven Change Leadership." Applied Business Research Conference of the Clute Institute (2010).
Hidding, Gezinus. & Nicholas, J. "Reducing I.T. Project Management Failures: A Research Proposal." Proceedings of the 42nd Hawaii International Conference of Systems Sciences (2009).
Kizior, Ron. & Hidding, G. "Emphasizing Business Analysis to Increase IS Majors." Proceedings of ISECON (2009).
Hidding, Gezinus. & Williams, J. "Fast-follower Advantage in I.T.-intensive Markets: An Historical Analysis." ISOneWorld Conference(2005).
Hidding, Gezinus. J. & Williams, J. "Fast-follower Advantage in I.T.-intensive Markets: An Historical Analysis.", Enabling Executive Information Technology Competencies. Ed. Andrew Wenn and K. Kathy Dhanda Washington, D.C.: Information Institute, 2006.
Presentation of Refereed Papers
Hidding, G. J. (Author & Presenter), Hewitt, M. (Author), Malliaris, M. E. (Author), Colleagues in Jesuit Business Education, "How to Unleash the Transformative Power of Teaching Practices based on the Ignatian Pedagogy Paradigm," Creighton University, Heider College of Business, Omaha, NE, USA. (July 7, 2017).
Hidding, G. J. (Author & Presenter), Cicekoglu, S. (Author), Family Enterprise Research Conference, "Crisis Preparedness Planning Maturity: A Pilot Study," University of North Carolina Asheville Family Business Forum, Asheville, NC, USA. (June 8, 2017).
Hidding, G. J. (Presenter), How to Think About Personal Finances after Graduation, "How to Think About Personal Finances after Graduation," LUC - The Graduate School, Chicago, IL, USA. (April 25, 2017).
Hidding, G. J. (Author & Presenter), Cicekoglu, S. (Author), Bonnafoux, T. (Author), IABPAD Conference, "The Impact of Innovation on the Resilience Capacity of a Company in Decline," International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD), New Orleans, LA, USA. (October 22, 2016).
Hidding, Gezinus, and J. Nicholas. (2010). "Reducing Project Failures Through Value-Driven Change Leadership." Applied Business Research Conference of the Clute Institute, Orlando, Florida.
Hidding, Gezinus, and J. Nicholas. (2009, January). "Reducing I.T. Project Management Failures: A Research Proposal." Proceedings of the 42nd Hawaii International Conference of Systems Sciences, Waikoloa, Hawaii.
Hidding, Gezinus, and R. Kizior. (2008, November). "A Shift in Strategy to Increase I.S. Majors." Proceedings of ISECON, Phoenix, Arizona.
Hidding, Gezinus. (2007). "Reducing I.T. Project Failures with Value-Driven Project Leadership (VDPL)." INFORMS, Seattle, Washington.
Kizior, Ron, and G. Hidding. (2009, November). "Emphasizing Business Analysis to Increase IS Majors." Proceedings of ISECON, Washington, District of Columbia.