Office #: Schreiber 511
Professor John M. Janiga is a registered CPA and a licensed attorney in Illinois. He holds a BBA in Public Accounting, an MBA in Finance, and a JD Cum Laude from Loyola University Chicago and a post-doctoral degree in tax law (LLM in Taxation) from DePaul University College of Law. He has been a full-time professor at Loyola for 34 years, teaching primarily undergraduate and graduate tax courses for the last 31 years. For the last 15 years, he has served in an Of Counsel capacity to the law firm of Spagnolo & Hoeksema, LLC, located in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. There, he provides counsel in the areas of estate planning, Federal and Illinois taxation, and business law, including all aspects of business formations and operations.
Prior to joining Loyola’s faculty, he held several positions – as an auditor with Price Waterhouse & Co. (now known as PwC), as a financial analyst with a manufacturer based in suburban Chicago, and was associated with both small and large Chicago law firms, practicing in the areas of taxation, estate planning, and deferred compensation.
He is the author or co-author of numerous articles published in professional and academic journals such as Taxation for Accountants, Taxation for Lawyers, The Tax Adviser, Estate Planning, Trusts & Estates, Taxes, Illinois Bar Journal, Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal, Journal of Passthrough Entities, Practical Tax Strategies, Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, and Pepperdine Law Review, and two editions of a book on tax and estate planning, most recently published by Simon & Schuster.
He has received numerous awards and honors, including being named the recipient of Loyola’s Quinlan School of Business 2010-2011 “Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher of the Year Award;” being selected as Beta Alpha Psi’s Beta Iota Chapter “Accountant of the Year;” being inducted into Gordon Tech High School’s “Alumni Hall of Fame;” being twice named the “Faculty Member of the Year” in the Quinlan School; and being named co-recipient of the 2008 Illinois CPA Society’s “Outstanding Educator Award” for 4-Year Institutions. He is currently listed or has been listed in Who's Who in American Law, Who’s Who in Academia, Who’s Who in Business Higher Education, Who’s Who Among American Teachers & Educators, Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals, Personalities of America, Who’s Who Among Rising Young Americans, and Who’s Who: American Law Students. He was included in The Princeton Review’s The Best 300 Professors (2012), a book published by Random House, which profiles the top undergraduate professors in the U.S. He was one of only four accounting professors included in the book and the only one whose primary teaching and research focus is taxation.
He is a member of the Illinois CPA Society (honorary lifetime), the Chicago Bar Association, the American Accounting Association, and the American Taxation Association, an organization in which he has been a member of numerous committees.
- LLM in Taxation, DePaul University College of Law, 1991
- JD, Cum Laude, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1988
- MBA, Finance, Loyola University Chicago, 1982
- BBA, Public Accounting, Loyola University Chicago, 1979
- Federal Income Taxation
- Federal Transfer Taxation
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Accounting Association
- American Taxation Association
- Taxation of Individuals
- Taxation of Corporations, Partnerships, Estates & Trusts
- Federal Taxation (MBA)
- 1995 Beta Alpha Psi (Beta Iota Chapter) "Accountant of the Year" Award
- Delta Sigma Pi, Professional Business Fraternity (Selected for Honorary Faculty Membership), 1995
- Arthur Andersen & Co. Alumni Faculty Fellow, 1994-95
- Quinlan School of Business "Faculty Member of the Year" Award, 1992-93
- Illinois CPA Society “2008 Outstanding Educator” Award
- Selected for inclusion in The Princeton Review’s “The 300 Best Professors” (published by Random House, 2012) profiling the best undergraduate professors in the United States
- 2011-2012 SBA “Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher of the Year” Award