Faculty and Staff
Title/s: Adjunct Instructor
Office #: Schreiber 518
Doctor Stonebraker’s research focuses on the efficiency of operations and supply chain activities as well as on innovative instruction pedagogies. He has received several best paper for his research including from the International Decision Sciences Institute, the International Business Schools Computer Users Group and the North American Management Society / Midwest Business Administration Association. He has authored four books in the compensation, operations management, and operations strategy areas, including Production and Operations Management, coauthored with Don Fogarty and Tom Hoffmann, and Operations Strategy, coauthored with Keong Leong, as well as over fifty academic and practitioner-focused articles. As the recipient of a USIA grant, he spent ten months in the Siberian city of Ekaterinburg teaching management and supply chain operations.
He has consulted with numerous small and Fortune 500 companies in manufacturing and distribution, and has taught the APICS certification courses for some 20 years in public formats as well as in-house corporate formats to some 30 Chicago-area firms. Much of Dr. Stonebraker’s teaching effort is focused toward achieving the efficiencies of virtual pedagogic processes; as a teacher he desires to create an environment to facilitate the transfer and internalization of knowledge.
- PhD, Business Administration, Arizona State University, 1981
- MBA, International Management, Jacksonville State University, 1972
- BA, Government, Romance Languages, Bowdoin College, 1964
- CFPIM, Certified Fellow in Production & Inventory Management, APICS – The Association for Operations Management, 2008
- CPIM, Certified in Production & Inventory Management, APICS–The Association for Operations Management, 1984
- Supply Chain Integration
- Inventory Management Tradeoffs
- Innovative Instruction Pedagogies
- Integration of Academic Instruction with Business Needs (Service Learning)
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Academy of Management
- Decision Sciences Institute
- International Society for Inventory Research
- Production Operations Management Society
- Association for Operations Management – APICS
- Alpha Iota Delta, International Decision Sciences Honorary Society
- Sigma Iota Epsilon, International Management Honorary Society
- Military Officers Association of America
Manuscript Reviewer for:
- Supply Chain Management: International Journal
- Accounting Education,
- Environmental Management
- Reviewer & Member of the Professional Development Committee, Operations Management Body of Knowledge Framework, APICS – The Association for Operations Management
Training Courses and Consulting for Business
- Abbott Laboratories
- Cooper Bussman
- Dana Brake Parts
- Ernst and Young
- Federal-Mogul-Fel Pro
- Kraft Foods
- Knaak Automotive
- Marconi Electronics
- Scot Forge
- Sears Roebuck
- Standard Brands
- TTX (Railcar Management) Company
- U.S. Robotics
- W. W. Grainger
- SCMG 480. Operations Management
- SCMG 481. Performance Improvement in Business Processes
- ISSCM 484M. Project Management.
- ISSCM 491. Managerial Statistics
- ISSCM 241. Business Statistics
- SCMG 332. Operations Management
- At other universities: Service Management, Compensation Management, Operations Research, Decision Analysis, Supply Chain Management, Managing Organizations
- 2008: LEAD Award, Student Government Association, Northeastern Illinois University
- 1990-2009: Numerous Excellence in Teaching, Research, Service Awards, Northeastern Illinois University
- 2004: Conference Best Paper Award, NAMS, (with Hofler, Afifi, & Reynolds)
- 2004: Conference Best Paper Award, MBAA (with Hofler, Afifi, & Reynolds).
- 1998: Finalist, DSI Instructional Innovation Competition
- 1997: Honorary Mention “Innovation in Leadership of Business Education Award" AACSB Mid-Continent
- 1994: Master Instructor, Chicago Chapter, of APICS – The Association for Operations Management
- 1989: Award Winner, DSI Instructional Innovation Competition
- 1986: Best Paper Award, IBSCUG. (with Coye)
Operations Management Body of Knowledge Framework, 1st & 2d ed. APICS–The Association for Operations Management, Writing Committee Member, OMBOK Committee Member, & Reviewer, 2008, 2009
Operations Strategy, Focusing Competitive Excellence, an upper level elective course text, with supporting Instructor Manual, Prentice Hall, 2001, soft-cover reprinting (w/ Leong)
Operations Strategy, Focusing Competitive Excellence, an upper-level elective course text, with supporting Instructor Manual, Prentice Hall, 1994, (w/ Leong)
Exercises and Problems in Human Resource Management: Using the Microcomputer, with Instructor’s Manual, published by McGraw Hill, 1989.
Production and Operations Management, with Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank, published by South-Western Publishing Co., 1989 (with Fogarty and Hoffmann)
Master Planning: A CPIM Certification Review Course published by the American Production & Inventory Control Society, 1987.
“Whistleblower Protection” published in The Sage Encyclopedia of Business Ethics and Society, 2nd Edition. Robert W. Kolb ed. 2016.
“The Human Resource Impact on Supply Chains: Evaluating the Importance of “Soft Areas on Integration and Performance”. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 2009 15(1) 31-40 (w/ Shub).
“Weak Links in the Supply Chain: Measuring Fragility and Sustainability” Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 2009, 20(2), p161-177, (w/ Goldhar and Nassos).
“From Russia with Love”, an international case in Operations Strategy, by Nigel Slack and Michael Lewis, 2d ed. 2008, p. 378. (with Polbitsyn)
“Supply Chain Integration: Exploring Product and Environmental Contingencies.” Supply Chain Management: An International Journal11(1), 2006, 34-44 (w/ Liao)
“Academic Instruction in Technology-Enhanced Environments: Assuring the Balance of Technology and Content.” Pennsylvania Journal of Business and Economics 11 (1), 2005 1-13 (w/ Hazeltine).
“Linguistic Bases of Ethical Decision-Making: Establishing Foundations” Journal of Business Disciplines,2005, 6(2) 55-71 (w/ Hofler, Afifi, and Reynolds).
“Virtual Learning Effectiveness: An Examination of the Process.” The Learning Organization, 2004, 11(3): 209-225(w/ Hazeltine).
“Toward a Contingency Theory of Supply Chains” Management Decision, 2004, 42(9):1131-45 (w/ Afifi).
“Environmental Turbulence, Strategic Orientation: Modeling Supply Chain Integration” International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 2004, 24(10):1037-1054 (w/ Liao).
“From Russia with Love”, an international case, in International Management, by McFarlin and Sweeney. South-Western College Publishing, 1998 (with Polbitsyn)
“From Russia with Love”, an international production operations management case, in Cases in International Management: A Focus on Emerging Markets, edited by Steven M. Hills, G. Keong Leong, and P. Roberto Garcia. Minneapolis: West Publishing Co. 1996. (with Polbitsyn)
"Restructuring the Bill of Materials for Productivity: A Strategic Evaluation of Product Configuration" The International Journal of Production Economics. 45 (1996) pp. 251-260.
"The Effectiveness of Personal Computers in Operations Management Education." The International Journal of Operations and Production Management. Volume XIV, #12, pp. 25-46. (with Coye)
"Improving Forecasting Accuracy through Trading Day Adjustment". International Journal of Operations and Production Management. Vol 9, Number 1, Winter, 1989, p. 45-56. (with Pantumsinchai)
"Comparable Worth ‑ Issues to Resolve before Equity Can Become Reality" International Journal of Manpower, Volume 8, Number 4, 1987. p. 13. (with LaVan)
"Managing Organization Fit in Times of Tumult". The Journal of Management Development. Vol 5, No 4, 1986.
"Comparable Worth: A Comparison of Litigated Cases in the Public and Private Sectors". Public Personnel Management, Vol 16, No 3, Fall, 1987, p. 281. (with LaVan, Katz, and Maloy)
"Flexible and Incentive Benefits: A Guide to Program Development". Compensation Review, American Management Association, Volume 17, No 2, 2d Qtr., 1985.