F-1 and J-1 students

International students with F-1 or J-1 Visas from Loyola University Chicago are eligible to work off campus within the United States. However, those students are expected to follow specific guidelines.

For example, F-1 students need to attend a U.S. institution of higher education for one academic year, or two semesters at Loyola University Chicago, in order to qualify for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT is the way for F-1 students to work part-time during the normal academic year, paid or unpaid, outside of being employed by their university or college. Without CPT, F-1 students are not allowed to be employed in the United States. Following graduation, F-1 Students obtain work authorization by applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for up to one year of full-time employment within their field of study.

For more information about hiring international students please contact the Office of International Programs at 773.508.3899. Specific questions for the Quinlan School of Business in regards to recruiting or hiring can be directed to Business Career Services at 312.915.7810.

For your convenience, below is a letter from the Office of International Programs to aid you in the hiring of F-1 students.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter in reference to this student’s work authorization.  This student is an F-1 international student in good standing at Loyola University Chicago.  In conjunction with coursework, students can be authorized to work for pay (full-time during their annual vacation and part-time when school is in session) through Curricular Practical Training. 

In order to obtain this work authorization for an internship, the student will arrange with their academic advisor and the Office for International Programs at Loyola to obtain work authorization.  The dates of employment and name of the employer will be noted on page 3 the I-20.  This work authorization is referred to as Curricular Practical Training.  It is legal for an F-1 student to engage in temporary employment to gain practical experience in their field of study in this manner.  This is in accordance with federal regulation 8 C.F.R.  214.2(f)(10)(i)

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will be notified of the request for Curricular Practical Training and they will authorize issuance of the SEVIS I-20 with Curricular Practical Training noted on page 3. The Designated School Official will sign page 3 of the I-20 to authorize the work experience.

If you have any further questions about this type of work authorization, please feel free to contact me.


Tami Renner
Assistant Director, PDSO
Office for International Programs