Mentors are Loyola University Chicago alumni and friends of Loyola who are business professionals in the Chicago area and beyond.
Business Career Services piloted the Q Mentorship Program in one section of BSAD 220 in Fall 2016 and has continued to grow the program with the goal that all sections of Career Preparation will have the mentorship program component.
Every student enrolled in BSAD 220 is assigned a mentor who is an experienced and model member of the Chicago and global business community. Students apply networking, career research, and communication skills (both written and oral) in the process of developing these relationships.
Program Background & Student Benefits
Mentors provide another voice that stresses the importance of a strong work ethic, professional attitude, and effective time management, as well as deliver invaluable insights into career choices, industry information, professional development, resume/cover letter writing, and interview skills. Participation in the mentorship program also offers an excellent networking opportunity, a critical tool not only for effective job-hunting, but also for long-term career success.
- Are willing to assist with the personal and professional development of a student and provide feedback to the Quinlan School of Business.
- Are able to meet individually with a student at least twice during the semester. At this time, phone or video calls are preferred. In-person meetings can take place when it is medically advisable and all necessary precautions are taken.
- Are skilled at interpersonal communication.
- Are highly regarded within their field for their integrity and professionalism.
- Are able to join the Q Mentorship community, which is housed on LoyolaLinked (Loyola’s online networking and mentorship platform, formerly called Loyola Mentors).
Student Mentees (enrolled in BSAD 220)
- Must complete their mentor interest assignment and LoyolaLinked profile by the deadline indicated on the course syllabus.
- Will initiate conversation with their assigned mentor after promptly after matches have been made on LoyolaLinked. Note: Each student is expected to drive this program – meaning the student takes an active role in contacting his/her mentor and planning meeting times.
- Meet at least twice with the mentor during the semester. At this time, phone or video calls are preferred. In-person meetings can take place when it is medically advisable and all necessary precautions are taken. Contact with your mentor will be determined based on mutual agreement.
- Mentors and mentees will be matched based on a variety of factors including: majors/ minors, skills, job functions, past experience, shared interests, career alignment, and rankings.
- Students will have the opportunity to share their personal and professional aspirations which will be considered in the mentor matching process.
- Mentees will complete their profile and will be able to research and learn about available mentors on LoyolaLinked or LinkedIn.
- Matches will be announced via the LoyolaLinked platform. While mentees may select mentors of interest during the matching process, matches are ultimately made on a variety of complex metadata. Mentors are limited in the number of mentees they may be paired with each semester.
- When medically advisable, in-person meetings should take place in public places, which may include the individual’s place of work, and should include all necessary precautions to limit the spread of contagions. If any situations arise that make you uncomfortable, please don’t hesitate to report them to Aminatu Rubango, Q Mentorship Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
*In-person meetings should take place in public places which may include the individual’s place of work. If any situations arise that were to make you uncomfortable, please don’t hesitate to report them to Aminatu Rubango, Q Mentorship Program Director.
Read about students who have launched their careers through the Q Mentorship Program.
To learn more, please contact Aminatu Rubango at email@example.com or 312.915.7907.