All Quinlan School of Business students must complete 13 courses to develop a solid understanding of all areas of business:
- ACCT 201: Introductory Accounting I
- ACCT 202: Introductory Accounting II
- BSAD 343: Business Analytics
- ECON 201: Principles of Economics I (Micro)
- ECON 202: Principles of Economics II (Macro)
- FINC 301: Introductory Business Finance -or- FINC 334: Principles of Corporate Finance (required for Finance majors and minors)
- ISSCM 241: Business Statistics
- INFS 247: Business Information Systems
- SCMG 332: Operations Management
- LREB 315: Law and the Regulatory Environment of Business
- MGMT 201: Managing People and Organizations
- MGMT 304: Strategic Management
- MARK 201: Principles of Marketing
For a complete list of Quinlan School of Business courses, see Course Offerings.
In addition to the Business Core, student must also complete the following Quinlan School of Business requirements:
- COMM 103: Business & Professional Speaking
- MATH 131 or 161: Elements of Calculus or Calculus I (students majoring in Finance are strongly encouraged to take MATH 161 instead of MATH 131)
- MGMT 341: Business Ethics
- BSAD 220: Internship and Career Preparation
- Two Writing Intensive courses, one of which must be a Quinlan course or ENGL 210
- Global Awareness. The course used to satisfy this requirement may include any course from the GIST major group including ANTH 100, 102. ASIA 101, INTS 101, LASP 101, PLSC 102, or a study abroad experience will count toward this requirement.
In addition to Core Curriculum and Business Core Curriculum requirements, students pursuing the BBA degree in finance must complete 21 credit hours in the following courses:
- ECON 303: Microeconomics (prerequisite: sophomore standing, and a minimum grade of a "C-" or better in ECON 201 and ECON 202)
- FINC 334: Principles of Corporate Finance (prerequisite: sophomore standing, and a minimum grade of a "C-" or better in ECON 201, ISSCM 241, ACCT 201 (co-requisite), MATH 131 or 161)
- FINC 335: Investments (prerequisite: junior standing, and a minimum grade of a "C-" or better in FINC 334)
- Four additional 300-level finance courses*
*At least one 300-level Finance elective must be taken from FINC 342, 345, 346, 357.
Four courses from the following:
Choose one from the following list:
- FINC 342: Advanced Business Finance (prerequisite: junior standing, and a minimum grade of a “C-“ or better in FINC 335)
- FINC 345: Portfolio Management (prerequisite: junior standing, and a minimum grade of a “C-“ or better in FINC 335)
- FINC 346: Introduction to Options (prerequisite: junior standing, and a minimum grade of a “C-“ or better in FINC 335)
- FINC 357: Cases in Corporate Finance (prerequisite: junior standing, and a minimum grade of a “C-“ or better in FINC 335)
Choose three electives Electives:
- Additional Finance Courses*
For a suggested course sequence for undergraduate finance majors, see Suggested Course Sequence.
At the discretion of the Quinlan School of Business, a maximum of one transfer course taken prior to matriculating at Loyola University Chicago may be allowed. A 2.0 average GPA is required for all attempted business courses. (BA in Economics students must also earn a 2.0 average GPA for all attempted Economics courses).
Quinlan students are limited to double dipping once (that is, counting one course twice) between any major or minor combination, regardless of what program the major or minor is taken in. Non-Quinlan students are limited to double dipping twice (that is, counting two courses twice) between business school minors and/or their respective majors.
Students planning to study abroad are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor early in the planning stage. A student will be permitted to take up to two approved courses in any Quinlan major or minor (and including BA Economics majors). All courses must be approved by the Quinlan Undergraduate Dean.