All Quinlan School of Business students must complete 13 courses to develop a solid understanding of all areas of business:
- ACCT 201: Introductory Accounting I
- ACCT 202: Introductory Accounting II
- BSAD 343: Business Analytics
- ECON 201: Principles of Economics I (Micro)
- ECON 202: Principles of Economics II (Macro)
- FINC 301: Introductory Business Finance -or- FINC 334: Principles of Corporate Finance (required for Finance majors and minors)
- ISSCM 241: Business Statistics
- INFS 247: Business Information Systems
- SCMG 332: Operations Management
- LREB 315: Law and the Regulatory Environment of Business
- MGMT 201: Managing People and Organizations
- MGMT 304: Strategic Management
- MARK 201: Principles of Marketing
For a complete list of Quinlan School of Business courses, see Course Offerings.
In addition to the Business Core, student must also complete the following Quinlan School of Business requirements:
- COMM 103: Business & Professional Speaking
- MATH 131 or 161: Elements of Calculus or Calculus I (students majoring in Finance are strongly encouraged to take MATH 161 instead of MATH 131)
- MGMT 341: Business Ethics
- BSAD 220: Internship and Career Preparation
- Two Writing Intensive courses, one of which must be a Quinlan course or ENGL 210
- Global Awareness. The course used to satisfy this requirement may include any course from the GIST major group including ANTH 100, 102. ASIA 101, INTS 101, LASP 101, PLSC 102, or a study abroad experience will count toward this requirement.
In addition to Core Curriculum and Business Core Curriculum requirements, students pursuing the BBA degree in international business must complete the following courses to earn 18 hours in this major:
- IBUS 201: Introduction to International Business - or – BHNR 335 (Quinlan Honors only)
Five courses from the following:
Group A (choose at least two)
- ACCT 306: Advanced Accounting—Business Combinations, Consolidations and International (prerequisites: junior standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in ACCT 303 and 304)
- ECON 323: International Economics (prerequisites: sophomore standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in ECON 201, and 202)
- ECON 324: International Monetary Relations (prerequisites: sophomore standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better ECON 201, and 202)
- ECON 325: Economics of Development and Growth (prerequisites: sophomore standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in ECON 201, and 202)
- FINC 355: International Financial Management (prerequisites: junior standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in FINC 301 or FINC 334)
- SCMG 338: Logistics in the Global Economy (prerequisites: junior standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in SCMG 332)
Group B (choose at least two)
- HRER 325: Global Employment Relations (prerequisites: junior standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in HRER 301 )
- HRER 329: Global Human Resources and Organizational Behavior (prerequisites: junior standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in HRER 301)
- MARK 363: International Marketing (prerequisites: junior standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in MARK 201)
- MGMT 305: Global Business Strategy (R) (prerequisite: junior standing)
- MGMT 315: International Management (prerequisites: junior standing, and minimum grade of “C-“ or better in MGMT 201)
- SPRT 345: Globalization of the Sport Industry (prerequisites: junior standing, minimum grade of “C-“ or better in SPRT 130)
- ANTH 100: Globalization and Local Cultures*
- ANTH 102: Intro to Cultural Anthropology (prerequisites: minimum grade of “C-“ or better in ANTH 100, PLSC 102, PYSC 100, or SOCL 101)*
- PLSC 350: Politics of International Economic Relations*
- PLSC 362: Politics of Developing Societies*
- PLSC 363: International Politics*
*=Students may choose one non-Quinlan course from this list for the INTL Business major or minor.
(R)=Offered at Loyola's Rome Center.
*Students may only take up to two courses in the same subject area for this major/minor.
In addition, students pursuing the International Business major/minor have a foreign language requirement.
- (Major) Language and Study Abroad Requirement:
- Must study abroad for an entire semester
- Language up through 103 level (3 yrs of same language in HS) *Note : study abroad experience does not have to match language studied
- (Minor) Language and/or Study Abroad Requirement:
- Option 1) Language up through 103 level (3 yrs of same language in HS) + Study Abroad (semester or summer program)
- Option 2) Language up through 104 level (4 yrs of same language in HS)
At the discretion of the Quinlan School of Business, a maximum of one transfer course taken prior to matriculating at Loyola University Chicago may be allowed. A 2.0 average GPA is required for all attempted business courses. (BA in Economics students must also earn a 2.0 average GPA for all attempted Economics courses).
Quinlan students are limited to double dipping once (that is, counting one course twice) between any major or minor combination, regardless of what program the major or minor is taken in. Non-Quinlan students are limited to double dipping twice (that is, counting two courses twice) between business school minors and/or their respective majors.
Students planning to study abroad are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor early in the planning stage. A student will be permitted to take up to two approved courses in any Quinlan major or minor (and including BA Economics majors). All courses must be approved by the Quinlan Undergraduate Dean.